Error when publishing a feature service by using ArcMap 10.1

09-17-2012 12:42 PM
CharlesCao
New Contributor
I have a parcel layer with joining some fields from a tabular table in ArcMap10.1, there ia an error when publishing as a feature service to ArcGIS Online.

The attachements are screenshots for warning and error.[ATTACH=CONFIG]17743[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17744[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
9 Replies
JoanneParkinson
Esri Contributor
Hello Charles,

The message you received indicates the data and any additional resource(s) could not be packaged.

There is a help topic associated with the message you received:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00vp0000002r001270

What format is the data - file geodatabase, shapefile, coverage, enterprise geodatabase?

Does the mxd contain data that participates in a terrain or network dataset?

Does the length of the path to your data, staging folder or server name exceed the operating system limit?

Is there any additional information you can provide regarding the .mxd you are trying to publish and its contents?

Thanks,

Joanne Parkinson
Esri Software Product Engineer
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: charlescao

Thanks Joanne.

There are only two kinds of data in MXD : the parcel data (file geodatabase) have 5 fields;  the tabular data (access MDB) have 80 fields. I joined them with the same PIN and selected totally about 10 fields after joining in ArcMap (Layer Properties-->Fields-->Choose which fields will be visible).

The parcel data are polygons, and there are not participations in a terrain or network dataset.

These data are saved in  the same folder of my local computer, for example: C:/temp/data/.

I want to publish it as a feature service from ArcView 10.1 to ArcGIS Online directly.

it's OK for individual layer to publish, but doesn't work with a join.

Thanks again
0 Kudos
JoanneParkinson
Esri Contributor
Thanks Charles. How did you create the join? Is it through an odbc connection?

Joanne
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Charles. How did you create the join? Is it through an odbc connection?

Joanne

Thanks Joanne.

I didn't join two data through ODBC.

The Parcel data(shp) and tabular data(mdb) are saved into the same folder(for example c:\temp), and they are added into ArcView10.1, and joined by the same field PIN: right click on Parcel layer -->Joins and Relates --> Join... --> Join attrbutes from a table --> choose PIN -->Join

When validating join, there is some warning. But it's ok when the attribute are displayed after joining.

When I publish another mxd to ArcGIS Online without joining, there isn't warning about "Layer has an in-memory join or relate (Feature Service)". Acctually, the attribute data joined are in memory, is it the problem?

Additional, I are using ArcView 10.1, is it possible reason? We need ArcEditor or ArcInfo for publishing a feature service ?

Thanks again.
0 Kudos
JoanneParkinson
Esri Contributor
Hi Charles,

Thank you for the additional information. You asked:

�??When I publish another mxd to ArcGIS Online without joining, there isn't warning about "Layer has an in-memory join or relate (Feature Service)". Actually, the attribute data joined are in memory, is it the problem?�?�

This isn�??t the problem. This warning appears because the joined or related attributes are not accessible from the published feature service. The warning is just letting you know this. I've included the help topic below which provides more information about the warning and some options.
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00sq000000rq000000

�??Additional, I are using ArcView 10.1, is it possible reason? We need ArcEditor or ArcInfo for publishing a feature service?�?�

You can publish hosted feature services using ArcView 10.1 as well.

I think you are encountering the consolidation error because the Access tables (mdb) are not being accessed via an OLE DB connection. You can make an OLE DB connection to your mdb table in ArcCatalog.

Here are the steps:

1. Add OLE DB Connection command to the interface from the Customize dialog.
[INDENT]a. Click Customize > Customize mode > Commands and type ole db connection in the search window.[/INDENT]
[INDENT]b. Drag and drop Add OLE DB Connection command onto a toolbar in ArcCatalog.[/INDENT]
2. Click Add OLE DB Connection.
3. On the Provider tab, click Microsoft Jet 4.0 OLE DB Provider and click Next.
4. On the Connection tab, Select or enter a database name (the mdb you are working with).
5. Click Test connection.
6. Click OK to close the test connection message and the Data Link Properties dialog.
7. To access/use the mdb, expand Database Connections and double-click OLE DB Connection.odc to connect in either ArcCatalog or the catalog window in ArcMap. You may need to refresh the Database Connections folder in order to see the new ole db connection.

Joanne
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks a lot, Joanne.

But unfortunately, it doesn't work as well even if I connect the MDB(2000-2003) via the OLE DB Connection. I copy these data to C:\temp, and create a OLE DB connection according to your steps, and I add the spatial data and OLE DB into ArcMap, then I join them via the same PIN. It shows another more warning: Layer does not have a feature template set, and doesn't work also. And the layer would be removed automatically when I double check this warning. Is it strange?

Additional, I just check the Feature Access instead of Tiled Mapping when publishing in the Capabilities of Service Editor in ArcMap.

Of course, it could be published to ArcGIS Online after the joined data is exported as a Shp file.

Thanks again.
0 Kudos
JoanneParkinson
Esri Contributor
Hi Charles,

�??But unfortunately, it doesn't work as well even if I connect the MDB(2000-2003) via the OLE DB Connection.�?�

Do you still get the consolidation error? What is not working?

Warning 24041 Layer does not have a feature template set will appear when you publish feature services and you don�??t have a feature template for editing set. The default solution is to remove the layer. You can access the solutions by right-clicking the message in the Prepare window. If you double-click as you did, the default solution to remove the layer is applied. Here is the help topic for this warning:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00sq000000rv000000

�??Of course, it could be published to ArcGIS Online after the joined data is exported as a Shp file.�?�

If you want the joined attributes to be available in the feature service, then exporting the joined data to a new file and publishing that is the best way to go.

Joanne
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Joanne again.

Do you still get the consolidation error? What is not working?

yes, the same errer: " Error 001270: Consolidating the data dailed.", and the joining data can't be published as well.
0 Kudos
JoanneParkinson
Esri Contributor
Hi Charles,

Since you are still getting the consolidation error after creating the join to your Access table via an OLE DB connection, it's best to contact Esri Support so an analyst can help diagnose what the problem is.

Joanne
0 Kudos