Error Publishing a Map Service for ArcMap to ArcGIS Online

06-20-2012 02:45 PM
AdamInglis
Occasional Contributor II
I have been through the process several time and I keep getting a very generic error message when I try to publish a service that I uploaded from ArcMap.

The first warning I get is when publish from ArcMap, cache generation failed:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]15384[/ATTACH]

The service uploads without an issue, but when I view it online and try to publish it there I get this message, "There was an error":
[ATTACH=CONFIG]15385[/ATTACH]

Tough message to troubleshoot, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Adam
0 Kudos
42 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: mikem

Can you check and see if there is a more detailed error in the Geoprocessing Results window of ArcMap? Click the Geoprocessing menu, then Results.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
AdamInglis
There doesn't seem to be much info on the error/warning in the results window.  Here is the python snipet:

arcpy.UploadServiceDefinition_server("C:/Users/ainglis/AppData/Local/ESRI/Desktop10.1/Staging/My Hosted Services/AMEBC_Hard_Restrictions_Source_online.sd","My Hosted Services","#","#","FROM_SERVICE_DEFINITION","#","STARTED","USE_DEFINITION","NO_SHARE_ONLINE","PRIVATE","NO_SHARE_ORGANIZATION","#")

and here are the messages:

Executing: UploadServiceDefinition "C:\Users\ainglis\AppData\Local\ESRI\Desktop10.1\Staging\My Hosted Services\AMEBC_Hard_Restrictions_Source_online.sd" "My Hosted Services" # # FROM_SERVICE_DEFINITION # STARTED USE_DEFINITION NO_SHARE_ONLINE PRIVATE NO_SHARE_ORGANIZATION #
Start Time: Thu Jun 21 09:01:52 2012
Succeeded at Thu Jun 21 09:04:16 2012 (Elapsed Time: 2 minutes 24 seconds)
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Do you know how many tiles you're trying to create?
Do you have enough credits to do so? On the My Organization page, you can see how many credits you have.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
AdamInglis
The services I'm trying to publish are 20MB each:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]15439[/ATTACH]

and I have 199 credits remaining:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]15440[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now, go a specific service definition and click on the Manage Tiles link. See how many tiles a given service is trying to create. With 199 credits, you can create 199,000 tiles. But then, you'd be out of credits. I suspect you are trying to create a cache that is too big for the number of credits. You need to reduce the number of levels.

The size of the service definition is not related to the number of tiles you'd need to create.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
AdamInglis
Sorry Mike, I don't see anywhere to manage the tiles under a specific service definition:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]15443[/ATTACH]

When I calculated the estimated cache size in ArcMap it was less than 100Mb.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry I meant map service not service definition.

When you publish a service definintion from ArcMap, you'll get a map service of the same name in the same folder. I assume the map service was created, but it has no tiles. On the item details page, scroll down until you see Tiles. and there should be a Manage Tiles link that will allow you to build tiles. This also shows you how many tiles per scale.

Mike
0 Kudos
AdamInglis
OK, I'm not seeing a map service in that directory, just a service definition.  Is there an example scree cap you can send me?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

If you're not seeing the map service, then it didn't get created when the service definition was updated. What you can try is when you publish from Desktop, choose the option to build the cache manually later (see image). Then, hopefully you see a map service with the same name as your service definition in your My Content. Then, look at the details of the map service and click the Manage Tiles link. This will tell you how many tiles there are per scale level. You can check a few levels and then create tiles.

Mike
0 Kudos