Problem creating new image service in ArcGIS 10

08-17-2010 01:38 PM
GerardoArmendariz
New Contributor III
Hi to all,

I am having trouble creating an image service in ArcMap 10.  My workflow is as follows:
1) I created a raster catalog within a file geodatabase.
2) I create a mosaic dataset using the "Create Reference Mosaic Dataset" from the raster catalog context menu.
3) I try to create an image service within ArcMap by using the "New Image Service" option within the Image Service Definition Editor toolbar.

I get the following error when tool attempts to add raster dataset to the image service:
[FormatCore : 01001F] Error: C:\my\temp.gdb\500m_Yr_Avg_MD: Process of gathering information to generate RPDef failed. ( location=FormatCore.dll:imagebackend.cpp:ESRI::ImageServer::RasterBase::Private::ImageBackend::getInformation:120;lasterror=0;cerr=2;thread=12EC )
[ServiceEditor.ImageService.AddRaster : 001C1D] Error: Could not add Raster 'C:\my\temp.gdb\500m_Yr_Avg_MD'.
[GenericRPDefGenerator.GenerateRPDefs : 00A80F] Error: Could not extract Raster Format Information for: 'C:\my\temp.gdb\500m_Yr_Avg_MD'.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RobertBerger
New Contributor III
Rie,

Don't create a raster catalog first. Simply create a new mosaic dataset, then load your data and go from there. If you create a reference mosaic dataset to a raster catalog, the output is not a full grown mosaic dataset.
Does this help?

Robert
0 Kudos
GerardoArmendariz
New Contributor III
Yes, I do understand this.  I was able to create a Mosaic Dataset and added a series of geoTIFF files to the dataset. I am not able to publish the mosaic dataset as a  service though.  I have tried publishing from ArcCatalog but I keep getting this message:
"Configuration rasterDS.ImageServer can not be started. Server Object instance creation failed on machine testserver."

I have also tried to create the service through arcgis manager but when I get to select the image data source from the geodatabase, I am not able to select the created mosaic dataset.

Your help is greatly appreciated. 🙂

Rie,

Don't create a raster catalog first. Simply create a new mosaic dataset, then load your data and go from there. If you create a reference mosaic dataset to a raster catalog, the output is not a full grown mosaic dataset.
Does this help?

Robert
0 Kudos
RobertBerger
New Contributor III
Hi Rie,

I can think of two reason why you cannot publish the mosaic dataset on the server:
1. To serve a mosaic dataset you need to have an extension to server called the ArcGIS Server Image Extension. If you do not have this extension licensed on the server then you won't be able to serve the mosaic dataset.
2. The SOM and/or SOC do not have access to the mosaic dataset. If your mosaic dataset is on G:\mydata\mydatabase.gdb\ and is not shared then the server (on a different machine) won't have access to the mosaic and cannot serve it. Sometimes the mosaic is shared to a selected group of users and the SOM/SOC is not part of that group. A problem sometimes related to this is that when you built your mosaic you load the data from the local G:\Data rather than the share \\mymachine\data. In this case you can serve out the mosaic dataset but the data isn't visible.
Based on your description I'm guessing your problem is the former, related to the license.

Robert
0 Kudos