export ArcSDE SQL geodatabase to Access geodatabase mdb?

Jump to solution
04-02-2012 11:29 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: alnesbit

Hello all,

I would like to export a copy of this ArcSDE SQL geodatabase to an Access geodatabase. I don't know if this can be done, I am new to this realm of GIS. Is there a tool where I can connect to the SDE geodatabase and export? I need to keep all of the geometric network tables, relationships, etc in place. I have searched for a while and just decided to give up and ask. 🙂

Appreciate any help or documentation.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: JSkinn3

Hi Andrea,

You can do this by simply copying the data from the ArcSDE geodatabase to the Personal (Access) geodatabase using ArcCatalog.  Steps:

1.  Open ArcCatalog
2.  Create a Personal Geodatabase by right-clicking on a folder > New > Personal Geodatabase
3.  Create a connection to your ArcSDE geodatabase by going to Database Connections > Add Spatial Database Connection
4.  Select the feature classes/datasets in ArcSDE > right-click > Copy
5.  Right-click the Personal Geodatabase > Paste

The geometric networks, relationships classes will remain in place and copy over successfully.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: JSkinn3

Hi Andrea,

You can do this by simply copying the data from the ArcSDE geodatabase to the Personal (Access) geodatabase using ArcCatalog.  Steps:

1.  Open ArcCatalog
2.  Create a Personal Geodatabase by right-clicking on a folder > New > Personal Geodatabase
3.  Create a connection to your ArcSDE geodatabase by going to Database Connections > Add Spatial Database Connection
4.  Select the feature classes/datasets in ArcSDE > right-click > Copy
5.  Right-click the Personal Geodatabase > Paste

The geometric networks, relationships classes will remain in place and copy over successfully.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ok, great! I didn't think it was so easy.

Thank you!
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
It won't be so easy long-term, since 64-bit ArcGIS 10.1 will not support Access-based geodatabases.
File geodatabases have taken the niche previously occupied by mdb files.

- V
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Oh no! Ugh. My problem with file geodatabases: you can't rename fields or move them around. Can I do this in file geodatabases in 10.1?
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Personal Geodatabase are still supported at ArcGIS Desktop 10.1.  However, they are not supported with ArcGIS Server 10.1.  Take a look at the following PDF.

ArcGIS Server 10.1 will no longer support the Microsoft Access based Personal Geodatabase. With the migration of ArcGIS Server to be 64-bit and because of the lack of scalability of Personal Geodatabases, we have removed support for Personal Geodatabases from ArcGIS server 10.1. Personal Geodatabases will continue to be supported on ArcGIS Desktop.

Also, at 10.1 you can rename fields within Personal/File Geodatabases using ArcCatalog.  I believe moving the fields is still restricted to the MXD.
0 Kudos