The index passed...

Jump to solution
03-20-2012 01:38 AM
MichalBrach
New Contributor
I'm struggling with such note in ArcMap: "The index passed was not within the valid range" I have not the faintest idea what is wrong with my label. Everything looks ok, ArcGIS 10 with sp4 is installed. Please help. I attach original geodatabase with Test.mxd file.
All files are zipped in Street_problem.zip archive.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12851[/ATTACH]
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Michal,

It looks like there is something wrong with the display settings for your layer, i.e., some categories of the features are not shown (check the Display tab of the Layer Properties dialog box and the Symbology - you've used the Unique values yet no features are included in the symbology list). That is why ArcMap is telling you that it cannot draw some elements of the feature class.

In addition, I'd recommend using file geodatabase instead of personal ones - they provide better performance, don't have 2GB size limit, and often takes less disk space. Maybe you could try to load the data into a new file geodatabase (or just create a new copy of the feature classes with no relationships and cartographic representations and coded-value domain defined for the geodatabase) and then change one property at once to see where the problem is.

I've searched for this error, but have not found anything related to labeling or symbology except this thread: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/20218-Error-The-index-passed-was-not-within-the-valid-range.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Michal,

It looks like there is something wrong with the display settings for your layer, i.e., some categories of the features are not shown (check the Display tab of the Layer Properties dialog box and the Symbology - you've used the Unique values yet no features are included in the symbology list). That is why ArcMap is telling you that it cannot draw some elements of the feature class.

In addition, I'd recommend using file geodatabase instead of personal ones - they provide better performance, don't have 2GB size limit, and often takes less disk space. Maybe you could try to load the data into a new file geodatabase (or just create a new copy of the feature classes with no relationships and cartographic representations and coded-value domain defined for the geodatabase) and then change one property at once to see where the problem is.

I've searched for this error, but have not found anything related to labeling or symbology except this thread: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/20218-Error-The-index-passed-was-not-within-the-valid-range.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: mif4i

I've checked all your tips. There is no change. Even with symbology this error still appears. It disappear when I switch off labels but of course it is not a solution. I was trying to modify everything and it does not help.

I don't want to do this cause all my data are in personal geodatabase so it cost me lot of time to convert whole project to file geodatabase.

Before I start this thread I was reading thread you mentioned above. In my point of view there is nothing what can help me 😞
0 Kudos
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Michal,

Maybe it is a good time to log an incident with Esri Tech Support then since they are best prepared to handle such issues.
0 Kudos