AnsweredAssumed Answered

Issues with xy data for a class project

Question asked by geonetadmin on Mar 18, 2012
Latest reply on Mar 20, 2012 by Hardolph
Original User: rmartori

I am doing a class project listing out the various volcanoes near Italy as sources of obsidian and the sites where obsidian has been found and lastly routes that could have been used to get the obsidian to where it was found. however when I import the excel data with add xydata option the points never go properly in the first picture below it seems to omit the site name and the latitude data so the data just spreads across the equator.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12791[/ATTACH]

however one thing that did seem to work was when I imported the data with nothing else loaded just a totally blank map, however when I then save that as a layer and import it to a map it seems to be slightly off from where it should be and no clue how to fix it.

however I recently started having a new problem now instead of omitting one set of coordinates it keeps them listed but displays them at 0 lat and 0 long
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12792[/ATTACH]
however if I select the xy data and hit zoom to layer it does show that they are spread out roughly in the proper way but you have to zoom to 1:25 to see it.

my excel data for the volcanoes is simply this

ObjectID Volcano Latitude Longitude
1 Lipari 38.28 14.56
2 Palmarola 40.56 12.51
3 Pantelleria 36.46 12.01
4 Monte Arci 39.46 8.44

the obsidian sites is a bit bigger because it also has a list of obsidian types that I am keeping a ratio of.

But sadly I have no clue how to fix this issue. I am using archmap 10

Any help anyone can give me would be great I am basically teaching myself this program for an archaeological science course.

Attachments

Outcomes