ArcGIS 10:Editing Tutorial 1a-Creating new points. Create Feature task/Access denied?

03-16-2012 11:20 AM
ScottChang
New Contributor II
Hi all,

I just started learning the ESRI "Editing Tutorial" in my ArcGIS 10.  I am doing Exercise 1a: Creating new points => Step10 for creating Visitor center building. I can't get "Visiting center building" on the Map. Instead, I got an error: 
Create
The Create Feature task could not completed
Access denied
Access denied [Ranger_stations]

See the attched 2 files for details of error message.  Please help and advise me what is wrong with this thing I am doing and how to get it to a right track.

Thanks,
Scott Chang
0 Kudos
11 Replies
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Hi Scott,

It is a good idea to publish the pictures in a graphic format, so those who do not have the software at hand could still take a look at your problem.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: ScottChang25

Hi Alexey,

Please tell me how to do it.

Scott Chang
0 Kudos
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Scott,

You create screensnaphots, save them on disk as .jpeg or .png, for instance, then attach them as you did with the .docx files.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Alexey,

I tied to save the docx file of my snapshots to the .jpeg or .png file in my MS Word 2007 program.  There is no .jpeg or .jnp format listed in the MS Word 2007 program for me to use!!!???  I am not sure why you can not open/see the docx file of my snapshots!!!???  What is advantage to have the .jpeg or .png file of my snatshots?

Scott Chang
0 Kudos
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Scott,

You are supposed to use any software where you are able to insert the snapshots (for instance, MS Paint). You can save the .jpeg files from the Paint. You do not need to use MS Word at all here.

The reason I suggest to use open standards for viewing snapshots is because not all people may have proper software installed at hand and it is just much simpler to view a picture then opening a .doc file. MS Word was not designed to be a picture management or picture storage software 🙂
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Alexey,  Thanks for your response.

My friend of "Paint" expert helped me in getting the .jpg files from the ArcGIS Map and saving them in the "Paint" program.   Here is the  .jpg file that shows the error message.   Please help and advise me how to get the problem solved.

Thanks,
Scott Chang
0 Kudos
TerrySilveus
Occasional Contributor III
This may have less to do with arcGIS and more to do with where you are trying to save the feature file.  What drive/path/filename are you trying to create the feature to?  Your title says tutorial and if you are using a tutorial on a cd and trying to save back to the cd that might be the problem.  It might also be a network issue (do you have the proper rights to save to the location you are trying to save to)?  Are you trying to overwrite a file that already exists?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Terry,  Thanks for your response.

I think you are right on this error message I had.

I moved the whole "Editing" folder from my C:\arcgis\ArcTutor to my C:\temp\, and then I clicked on the Exercise1.mxd to launch the first "Editing" Tutorial.  I completed the Exercise 1a:  Creating new points for getting the "Visitor Center" appeared....

Thanks,
Scott Chang
0 Kudos
TerrySilveus
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Terry,  Thanks for your response.

I think you are right on this error message I had.

I moved the whole "Editing" folder from my C:\arcgis\ArcTutor to my C:\temp\, and then I clicked on the Exercise1.mxd to launch the first "Editing" Tutorial.  I completed the Exercise 1a:  Creating new points for getting the "Visitor Center" appeared....

Thanks,
Scott Chang

Glad to have helped.
0 Kudos