Web Map won't open in Internet Explorer 8 or 9

01-11-2012 11:29 AM
JonFisher
New Contributor III
Hi,

I have a web map that is behaving very oddly. I can see it in firefox with no problems, but in IE 9 it fails to load to the arcgis.com map viewer entirely, and in IE8 I get an error message about an unresponsive script. I did notice that when I view the details for the web map in IE9 it shows the map contents as entirely blank for some reason. I'm attaching screenshots that show how the web map looks in the arcgis.com map viewer when using IE9, how the web map description looks in firefox, and how the web map description looks in IE9. Any ideas on what could be going wrong and how to fix it? Is IE simply not fully compatible with arcgis.com?

thanks,

Jon
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Can you share your webmap publicly and post the URL to it here?

It's strange the IE is not listing the contents of the map. This appears to be a bug.

The fact that the map doesn't display in IE, I suspect may be because you have too much data in your map. Shapefiles, CSVs added to a map are all drawn by the browser. Different browsers have different capabilities in terms of how much they can draw. IE is the worst. Each version of IE gets marginally better--IE9 is better than IE8, which is better than IE7. Firefox and Chrome can display more than IE. There's not much we can do to better support IE.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jrfishe1

Thanks Mike, is there anything I need to do to report the bug or help you troubleshoot it? I understand you can't do anything about the inherent limitations of IE but I thought that the fact it didn't list the contents at all might be the underlying cause for why it fails to draw in the map.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Jon,

Yes, can you post the URL to your web map here? You'll have to share it with everyone first.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jrfishe1

Unfortunately the web map contains sensitive data that can't be legally shared with the public. Sorry, I realize that makes troubleshooting very difficult.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Perhaps you can reproduce this with other data that isn't sensitive and share that map?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: timgrote

I've got a similar problem, in IE 8 I get an error about a script slowing down the machine. It loads fine in IE9.

The map is at: http://apps.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=7ae43cc9e4fe462687148b845d938755

Is there any way to trouble shoot the map and sort the layers/shape files by size so I can see which ones might be causing a problem?

Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos