Mosaic Dataset Blending Techniques

10-31-2011 09:41 AM
jonathangamble
New Contributor III
Hi,

A little background info:  I have a mr.sid file that I am trying to mosaic with several .tif files.  The MrSID was taken in the fall whereas the .tifs were taken in the spring/summer, so there is a noticable colour difference between the two.  I have added a first order colour correction to the MD to try and correct this which has done a somewhat 'ok' job of doing.  My problem comes when trying to blend the two datasets so that they appear to be one. 

I have set the mosaic operator to 'blend' in the layer properties of the MD and the results look great at small scales.  However, when zooming into larger scales the blend disappears and I am left with a hard edge between the two images.  My goal is to have a soft blended edge between the two images - what am I doing wrong?  Would the colour differences between to two image sets cause an issue with the blend or am I setting an incorrect option?

(A few screen caps to help out at 1:36,000 & 1:18,000)

Thanks
J
0 Kudos
4 Replies
GordonSumerling
Esri Contributor
Jonathon,

I think what you need here is seamlines. It allows for feathering along a defined irregular boundary rather than the hardline you see here. See the following web page:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//009s00000042000000.htm
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: mharlow

When you're zoomed in, and seeing the image where the water is all green, you only looking at one image, when you've zoomed out you're seeing both. This is because of the mosaic method. Likely Closest To Center displays the rasters that are most appropriate for this rule.

More about mosaic methods
About mosaic dataset properties

As the poster above suggested, building seamlines will help. This is because the images displayed are controled by the seamline, and there are more blending options with the seamline.

Creating and editing seamlines

Sometimes it's useful to query the mosaic dataset to see what images are being displayed. This can help to show if you're looking at one or two. Right-click the Footprint layer, point to Selection, and click Select Visible Rasters. Then the fooprints will be highlighted, and if you open the attribute table you can see the selected footprints as well.
0 Kudos
EricMahaffey
New Contributor III
Can someone please clarify whether or not you can feather seamlines in a Mosaic Dataset?  Every search I do leads me to the Image Server Extension, and not mosaic datasets.  However, there are a few powerpoint presentations out there that elude to the fact that you can "feather blend" using mosaic datasets.  Any advice would be great.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: mharlow

In a mosaic dataset, feathering = blending. at 10.0 blending works when using the Seamline mosaic method. On the mosaic dataset properties, where you set the mosaic method, you can change the mosaic operator to Blend.
0 Kudos