Removing duplicate labels fails when using abbreviation dictionary

09-20-2011 11:49 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: DeSchlong

Has anyone noticed this behaviour? Once again, something that seems so simple is rendered painful.

I have instructed Maplex to abbreviate the label to improve the Fitting Strategy, as well as remove duplicates (within 50km) to improve Conflict Resolution.  However, now "Rock Creek" is placed directly next to "Rock Ck" when obviously these are the same label for the same creek, and this behaviour is not seen when I don't use abbreviations.

My guess is Maplex is removing duplicates AFTER it consults and places labels using the abbreviations dictionary, when it should be the other way around.

What to do but complain to the abyss?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jonmorris

Hi, it's the abyss here,

I couldn't reproduce the behaviour you describe on my 10.1 beta machine, but I did see the problem at 9.3 final. What version of Arcmap are you using?

We have fixed a few bugs related to remove duplicates recently, although none of them mentioned abbreviation.

I am interested why the feature has more than one label in the first place. Do you have repeat labels turned on? Or do you have line connection turned off?
0 Kudos
JoshuaCrough
New Contributor III
Not 100% sure if this will help but perhaps if you change the Strategy Order on the Fitting Strategy tab so that remove duplicates is above abbreviate label it will work? Just a guess though.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: DeSchlong

jonmorris (abyss):

Version is ArcGIS 10.0.

Reason for multiple labels is due to short disconnected line segments.  Still, behaviour is not desirable.

jcrough:

I was heartened for a moment that I overlooked your solution but alas, "Removing Duplicates" is not a 'Fitting Strategy' but a 'Conflict Resolution' (different tab) so it does not appear in the ordered 'Fitting Strategy' list.
0 Kudos