Tilt and Rotation w/ Silverlight

06-24-2011 04:27 PM
ScottSnyder
New Contributor
Hello everyone,
I am doing some research and wanted to make sure that I can do tilt and rotation with a seamless environment with the ArcGIS Silverlight SDK. I haven't started development yet, but  I know Bing Maps supports this functionality.

1. The following demo in the interactive Silverlight sample library shows tilting with a planar projection, but the environment is not seamless. It's just confined to the plane.
http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapi/silverlight/samples/start.htm#PlaneProjection

I think this planar projection is part of the solution, but the plane has to be big enough so that the edges are never exposed and I need to be able to map points that don't appear to be flat on the map when it's tilted. Maybe the shadow of the object has to adjust to the tilt?  Please advise how I should approach. I would really appreciate any insight!

Attached are 2 examples of what I am trying to achieve.

2. I would also like to know if the arial view from Bing Services is available through ArcGIS.

Thank you in advance!
Scott
0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: SharpGIS

If you apply a planar transform to the map, this happens outside the map, and the map technically doesn't know this has happened to it. Therefore you need to make the map larger to offset the reduction in size you just applied to it. You can for instance accomplish this by giving it some negative margins.
That approach was used successfully in this app: http://www.youtube.com/sharpgis#p/u/4/B72U7OwzRAI (it's running on Windows Phone but uses the same Silverlight API, and the same approach would work in Browser-SL as well).
0 Kudos
ScottSnyder
New Contributor
Morten-
Thank you for your insight.
There are a few issues, I understand that it's projected onto the surface of the plane. It's the right approach for what I want, but it's not set up the way I need it to be in order to achieve the desired results.

From a 3d perspective:
if you grouped the projection and the plane  you would have another node the parent of the two. I need the parent to be the transformation node that's used for the panning, otherwise the map will always pan inside of the plane, which  is not the effect I want.

Rotation Question:
The other problem is the rotation.  if you tilt the map and then try to rotate it will clip the camera.

The approach I want is for the focal point of the camera to be always locked to the center of what ever area of the map is viewable and for the camera to rotate around the plane. This focal point should change every time you pan. The camera would never intersects the plane under this set up.. It's basically a camera aim constraint.

Please advise if everything I mentioned can be achieved or if there is a better approach.
Thank you!
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: davidrenz

Were you ever able to find a solution to this?
I am looking for something similar.
(please see this thread for more info: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/56556-Pivot-map-so-that-a-selected-point-is-at-bottom-of-moving-map...)

thanks!
david
0 Kudos