Hydrology Flow Direction tool output "incorrect" when setting z limit

06-03-2011 06:58 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: wesley.king

ArcGIS v10 sp1, 64 bit Vista:
I've never seen this happen before, but I haven't done a hydrology analysis since installing v10.  When running the Fill tool and not setting the z limit (defaulting to fill all), then running flow direction the output is as expected...values of; 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128.  Then running flow accumulation with with directional raster works as expected (see attachment).
BUT
When running the Fill tool and setting the z limit (trying about 8 different values), then running flow direction the output is NOT as expected...cells with values ranging 1-255.  Then running flow accumulation with this directional raster results in output that is obviously wrong (see attachment).

Anyone have any idea what's happening?

Thanks in advance,
Wes
0 Kudos
11 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: wesley.king

I ran the same tools with the same input (same elevation raster and z limit of .1) in both v10 and v9.3.1 and the resulting flow accumulation is horribly different.  See the attachments named according to which Arc version used.  The extent for the screen shot is the same, but one is shifted slightly.

The tool order is; Fill > Flow Direction > Flow Accumulation

I'm not sure what to think about this...anyone come across anything similar, or have any ideas?

Thanks,
Wes
0 Kudos
WesKing
New Contributor
Helps to add the attachments 🙂
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: pyadav1

We would like to work with you to understand the problem and troubleshoot it. Could you please contact Technical Support so we can work with you to get a reproducible case? If it is a software defect, our analyst will report it our development team for further investigation. To contact Esri Support, you can either:

1. Go to Support.esri.com > Scroll down > Choose Support Request Form and submit a new request online; or

2. Call 888-377-4575 and have a new call logged with an analyst.
0 Kudos
WesKing
New Contributor
Thanks Pavan, I just submitted and hope to hear from you soon.

Wes
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: rhbricky

Was this ever resolved?

The output from Fill is distinctly different in 10SP2 than in 9.3 (and incorrect)
If I use a layer filled in 9.3, it works just fine. Filling using 10 or 100 gives me the original unfilled DEM as a result.
0 Kudos
WesKing
New Contributor
Hi Richard,
This issue has not been resolved yet.  ESRI was able to reproduce exactly as occurred with my analysis.  A software bug report has been sent in by ESRI support services and I haven't heard anything since it was sent in.  The reference number for this bug is NIM069368 just so you know.

I searched the fixes in SP3 and didn't see it was included so I'm assuming it will be a while before the fix occurs.

Wes
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: pyadav1

Hi Richard,
This issue has not been resolved yet.  ESRI was able to reproduce exactly as occurred with my analysis.  A software bug report has been sent in by ESRI support services and I haven't heard anything since it was sent in.  The reference number for this bug is NIM069368 just so you know.

I searched the fixes in SP3 and didn't see it was included so I'm assuming it will be a while before the fix occurs.

Wes

Hi Wes,
I would like to let you know NIM069368 is in our ArcGIS 10 Service Pack 4 target list. SP 4 is planned to be available next month (March, 2012). I greatly appreciate your efforts to bring this issue to our attention.

Thanks
Pavan Yadav
0 Kudos
RickThalacker
New Contributor
Has this issue been corrected for 10.1?  I am experiencing the same issues using fill tool with z limit set to 1.  I am using 1m LiDAR dataset, conversion las to raster, cell size 3m.

I can run the fill tool with z limit default-flow direction-flow accumulation with no problem.  If I set z limit to 1, I have the same troubles described in this blog.

Rick Thalacker
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: curtvprice

Has this issue been corrected for 10.1? 

The bug report says it was indeed resolved in 10.0 SP4 and 10.1. I would take this to support with a small test dataset so they can fix it!

NIM-069368 When running the Spatial Analyst > Hydrology > Fill tool and specifying a Z limit, ArcGIS Version 10 SP2 fills less sinks than ArcGIS Version 9.3.1 SP2.

Version Fixed: 10.1
SP Fixed: 10.0SP4
0 Kudos