Geoprocessor and GPImageResultSet: No proxy?

05-10-2011 06:37 AM
DerivenC
New Contributor II
Greetings all.

Silverlight: 4.0
ArcGIS API: 2.1
ArcGIS Server: 9.3.1 SP2

Issue#1 (minor)

Problem: The Geoprocessor class does not use its assigned ProxyURL when checking status automatically for SubmitJobAsync.

Example: Using the Geoprocessing > Clip Features example from the ArcGIS API samples (being as it is the only one using SubmitJobAsync) and adding the standard proxy.ashx file, when setting the Geoprocessor.ProxyURL to this file the Geoprocessor instance will use it initially but not during status checks.  (See screenshot)  Once the job is complete, however, it starts using the proxy again to get the results.

Ramifications: Secure servers cannot use this automatic status update since it 1) doesn't use the token authentication and 2) could be on a server that the client has no access to directly.  #2 is the most important to me at this time because the user cannot reach our ArcGIS server directly.  All requests must go through the proxy.

Workaround: Follow the guidelines here to manually check the status.  Note that the same Geoprocessor instance uses the ProxyURL this way.  It is only the automated status checker that does not.

Issue #2 (showstopper)

Problem: The GPResultImageLayer result from the Geoprocessor also does not use the proxy.  In fact, there is no property to assign it a proxy -- causing all results to attempt to hit the ArcGIS server directly.

Ramifications: Secure servers cannot use this automatic status update since it 1) doesn't use the token authentication and 2) could be on a server that the client has no access to directly.  #2 is the most important to me at this time because the user cannot reach our ArcGIS server directly.  All requests must go through the proxy.

Workaround: None yet.  I will try to subclass either GPResultImageLayer or maybe one of the DynamicLayer classes to see if I can get around this.  But for now, we cannot use this very nice feature because of the missing proxy ability.

Would REALLY like this fixed in 2.2 please!!!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DerivenC
New Contributor II
Issue #2 worked around. Creating a derived class allowed me to override the image url.  Whew!
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: SharpGIS

We are aware of issue #1 and will have a fix in place for v2.2
0 Kudos
DerivenC
New Contributor II
Wonderful!  Thanks!
0 Kudos