Raster Displays with "Holes" after Building Pyramids

05-05-2011 11:11 AM
RandalGreene1
New Contributor III
Good day,

We have a large 16-bit unsigned integer raster in GRID format in 9.3. Before building pyramids it displays fine when zoomed out to the entire layer (see before.jpg, attached).

After building pyramids to improve display performance, it displays with "holes" (see after.jpg, attached). When we zoom in, the holes go away. What is causing this and how can we overcome it?

Thanks in advance,
Randal Greene
0 Kudos
10 Replies
PatrickTaurman
Occasional Contributor III
What renderer are you using?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: rgreenenf

What renderer are you using?

Unique values renderer.
0 Kudos
PatrickTaurman
Occasional Contributor III
I believe this may be NIM040765.  If you change <all other values> in the renderer to some color, I bet your white "holes" will display using this color.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I believe this may be NIM040765.  If you change <all other values> in the renderer to some color, I bet your white "holes" will display using this color.

Yes, that's it. Thanks.
0 Kudos
RandalGreene1
New Contributor III
Very frustrating that this bug has still not been addressed as of ArcGIS 10 SP3! Note that the problem occurs when you have pyramids and you map one of the fields from the Raster Attribute Table (not when you map the value itself)...
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Correction - the problem also still occurs when you map the raster value, just with less holes.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: voldune

Please try deleting the pyramids, and re-build them using ArcGIS 10.  Let me know if that clears up the issue.
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Very frustrating that this bug has still not been addressed as of ArcGIS 10 SP3! Note that the problem occurs when you have pyramids and you map one of the fields from the Raster Attribute Table (not when you map the value itself)...

It does seem that you are encountering NIM040765 as Patrick suggested, but we can't be sure until you tell us what version you built the pyramids in.  If you built the pyramids in 10.0, then you are encountering a new bug.  NIM040765 is specific to pyramids built in 9.3.x.  That bug is not open at this time.  The status is Rejected - non repro -when you build the new pyramids (OVR files) in 10.0.

Regards,
Eric
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: rogerloweth

I am using ArcGIS 10 (both SP2 and SP3 updates).

I encountered the same problem with a single band raster - the edges disappear when zoomed out to full extent with built pyramids.

Rebuilding the pyramids with level set to 0 solved the problem.

Note that I am mapping the raster value, NOT one of the fields.

Is this a new bug??

Regards, Roger
0 Kudos