Data Reviewer custom step in WMX: Run Reviewer Batch Job

Jump to solution
04-08-2011 11:29 AM
AshleyMott
New Contributor III
Hi,
I created a Data Reviewer custom step in WMX to run a reviewer batch job. I just copied the parameters from here: http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Data_Reviewer_custom_steps_and_tokens/...

One of the custom parameters I have to setup is a Session Name. Problem is, when I run the workflow more than once, I get a pop-up (see attached) that asks me to choose between multiple sessions with the same name. Is there a way to create a unique session name everytime a workflow incorporating this step is run? Maybe I don't fully understand the purpose of a session. Should every user have their own session each time they run the workflow?

I have also attached a workflow that copies the steps from the link I attached. Note, that the step called Create Reviewer session also asks for a session name.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BrianDemers
Esri Contributor
Hi Ashley,

I'm not terribly familiar with these steps or with Data Reviewer, but my understanding is that a session is just a way to group errors that are found by Data Reviewer.  How to define these groups is more of a business decision.  When using WMX, one obvious approach is to group all of the errors by job, but some users may want to group errors differently (perhaps based on the type of check or feature, by who ran the checks, by the time at which they were run, etc.).

All that said, it looks like these steps assume that you'll have one reviewer session per job.  From the bottom of this page:

On step execution, Workflow Manager starts ArcMap and the Reviewer session associated with the job.

If there is more than one Reviewer session associated with the job, you will be prompted to choose which Reviewer session will be started.

...so even unique session names would not be enough to avoid the dialog box that you're seeing if the sessions are associated with a single job.  Hopefully that lines up with what you're seeing...?

Brian D.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BrianDemers
Esri Contributor
Hi Ashley,

I'm not terribly familiar with these steps or with Data Reviewer, but my understanding is that a session is just a way to group errors that are found by Data Reviewer.  How to define these groups is more of a business decision.  When using WMX, one obvious approach is to group all of the errors by job, but some users may want to group errors differently (perhaps based on the type of check or feature, by who ran the checks, by the time at which they were run, etc.).

All that said, it looks like these steps assume that you'll have one reviewer session per job.  From the bottom of this page:

On step execution, Workflow Manager starts ArcMap and the Reviewer session associated with the job.

If there is more than one Reviewer session associated with the job, you will be prompted to choose which Reviewer session will be started.

...so even unique session names would not be enough to avoid the dialog box that you're seeing if the sessions are associated with a single job.  Hopefully that lines up with what you're seeing...?

Brian D.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: AshleyDIA

Thanks again for a great response Brian.

This functionallity seems weird to be, because a Data Reviewer session is likened to an edit session here:

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Essential_Data_Reviewer_vocabulary/010...

And when you think of the purpose of a job in WMX, it seems a bit contradictory.

At least, now I know what I can and cannot do. Thanks for the clarification
0 Kudos
KumarBhardwaj
Occasional Contributor II
Can you please confirm if you have set the correct token value in the Reviewer Session Name under Step Type Properties as shown in the attached screenshot. Setting this property will provide you a unique session name every time you run this step.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: AshleyDIA

Aha! Kumar, that is what I was looking for. Tokens seem to be the answer for everything!

Thank you so much.

Ashley
0 Kudos