Business Analyst Drive Time Methodology

03-03-2011 10:43 AM
PaulAmos
New Contributor
I�??ve been creating drive time trade areas around sites with the Drive time trade area option. One of the things that I�??ve noticed is that the drive times are created by driving from the site outward, not the reverse of how far someone would drive to get to a site. Generally this works fine but in the case of a divided highway, the polygon that is created by driving in the direction of the road away from the site. I�??ve attached a screen shot showing how the trade areas are generated around a site that lies of the corner of two intersecting roads that are divided roads, except at the intersection of the road.

I�??ve tried doing some things with the Streets Network dataset but it was prebuilt with BA and can�??t be modified. I think what I would like to do is to remove the one-way restriction in the streets network dataset if that is possible because ideally I would like for the drivetime to be created by driving to and away from the site. Any suggestions would be welcomed
0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: kwatsonESRI

Hi there,

You are entering the area where Business Analyst's core functionality is handing off to the Network Analyst extension's expertise.  You are correct when you say that the Drive Time Trade Areas in Business Analyst are generated outward from a starting location.  Business Analyst however, does not build in the functionality to reverse that direction.  Using Network Analyst, you can do this.  In your Service Area "Analysis Settings" you can change your Direction to "Towards Facility".

More info can be found here:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Service_area_analysis/0047000000480000...

Kyle
0 Kudos
PaulAmos
New Contributor
Kyle-

Is there a way to build a new Network dataset from the Business Analyst street layer?

Paul
0 Kudos