Error 1324 when Installing ArcGIS Explorer Desktop

01-21-2011 12:06 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: arakish

I keep getting this error when attempting to install ArcGIS Explorer.  For some reason, the installer thinks I have ArcGIS Explorer 9.2.500 installed on my system.  However, I do not have such installed.  I did have ArcGIS Explorer installed about four years ago (version 6, 7 ??).  I uninstalled that version some two or three years ago when I got a copy of ArcMap.  Didn't think I needed Explorer anymore.

However, I want to play around with the SDK for ArcGIS Explorer to create webmaps for a site project.

The Text of Error Message:
Error 1324.  The folder path 'ArcGIS Explorer' contains an invalid character.

I have no idea what this means.  I do not have ArcGIS Explorer installed on my system.  Any help to solve this would be greatly appreciated.

Also see attached images.
ClickYes.png = the dialogue saying I have ArcGIS Explorer 9.2.500 installed (but don't).
Error1324.png = the error message that prevents installation.

rmfr
0 Kudos
1 Reply
RichardRunyan
New Contributor
I finally found the problem.  It is in the Registry Entries made by the Explorer installation.  In all entries, there is one thing in common:

F:/ArcGIS Explorer/bin/...

This now begs the question: Why did you make ArcGIS Explorer make Registry Entries that reference a drive that does not exist on a system unit?

This also explains why Explorer would never work on my system.  There is no F: drive on my system.

Thus, again I ask: Why did you make ArcGIS Explorer make Registry Entries that point to DLLs on a non-existent drive?

Now I have to spend who knows how long manually removing these entries.

rmfr
0 Kudos