Can't create composite locator 10

01-18-2011 07:01 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: alnesbit

Hello all,

I created several simple locators in 10 in a file geodatabase. Then I tried to create a composite locator from all of them, then just 2 of them. Nothing I do creates the composite. The tool always says "An error has occured. Tool cannot be executed. Failed to execute". I have all of these locators in 9.3.1 but I was trying to recreate them in Arc 10.

Is there a bug? Does anyone have any ideas? This should be pretty straightforward to create.

Thank you,
0 Kudos
10 Replies
DanMarrier
New Contributor II
Try to create the composite locator file in a location other than where the individual locator services are stored.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: John.Sterritt

Have you been able to resolve this issue? I am having the same problem when trying to build a composite locator in ArcGIS 10 SP 1. The tool fails even with a single address locator. The error message is 'An Error has Occurred. Tool Cannot be Executed'
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

No, I still get the same error message. I tried it in a different, new file geodatabase and I get the same error.

I haven't looked to see if it's a known issue. I thought I read about all kinds of problems with the geocoding at 10. Does anyone know anything about it?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
If you are using projected data, this is a known issue and has been put into SP2.  You can try and create the composite locator in a file folder and see if that works.

Brad
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

If you are using projected data, this is a known issue and has been put into SP2.  You can try and create the composite locator in a file folder and see if that works.

Brad

That's what it is then, thank you for the confirmation.
0 Kudos
RichardWhite
New Contributor III

Brad

Brad -- do you have more details or another work around?  I have two locators based on CT SPCS source.  One is parcel based and the other is TIGER.  I tried your suggestion, but no luck.  Should I redo the individual locators in geographic and then return results in SPCS?

Thanks, Richard
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: brad5993

I just thought of another workaround.

1. Create a locator with geographic coordinate system (doesn't matter with what because it is temporary).
2. Create a composite locator that contains only the locator created in step 1.
3. Open the composite locator properties by double clicking the locator that was created in step 2.
4. Remove the locator that you added to the composite in step 2.
5. One by one, add the locators that you would like to have in the composite, map the input fields, create input address fields (if needed).
6. Calculate the spatial reference from the participating locators and click <OK> on the composite locator properties dialog.

This should solve this issue but let me know if I missed something.

Brad
0 Kudos
TimothyMichael
Occasional Contributor II
Is this still a known/active issue?  I am using ArcGIS 10 SP2 and am still getting the error "An error has occured.  Tool cannot be executed Failed to execute (CreateCompositeAddressLocator)."  I have tried creating the composite locator in the sde database (the source of the original locators), an empty folder, and an empty file geodatabase.  Same error each time.

-Tim
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: brad5993

If you are still having an issue at 10.0 SP2, I would contact tech support about it.  You can also try some of the workarounds above.

Brad
0 Kudos