Opening a GDB file

12-07-2010 05:40 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: rjkXXX

Hi,

I have a .gdb file, I do not know what version it was created with.  I am unable to open it using ArcView 9.3.1, I get the messeage "Failed to connect to database."

My questions are:
Can I open a .gbd file with only ArcView or do I need a higher level license?
Can I open a geodatabase that was created with a new version of Arc (i.e., if the database was created with ArcGIS 10.0, I won't be able to open it with ArcView9.3.1)?

Thanks for your help.
Rebecca
0 Kudos
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: vangelo

Yes, ArcView can read geodatabase files

No, ArcView 9.3.1 cannot read a 10.0 geodatabase.

Normally, the compatibility matrix would have the details, but it appears the wiki server is still down.

- V
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Rebecca,

Just to add onto Vince's post, please refer to this help doc for more info:

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: rjkXXX

Thanks for your responses!  It looks like it was created with ArcGIS 10.

Rebecca
0 Kudos
JanetFloirendo
New Contributor
Are there any current solutions to the problem of opening ArcGIS 10 geodatabases in earlier versions?  Any service pack for 9.3 to correct this issue?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: cgillgrass

Are there any current solutions to the problem of opening ArcGIS 10 geodatabases in earlier versions?  Any service pack for 9.3 to correct this issue?

Unfortunately no, you need ArcGIS 10.0 in order to open 10.0 geodatabases.  At certain releases, we make changes to the geodatabase that require we tie the geodatabase release to the ArcGIS release,  10.0 is one of those times.

We are working on functionality that will mitigate the need to do this in future releases and allow forward compatibility between ArcGIS and geodatabases.
0 Kudos