Snap Gas Pipe line to GPS Valves points

Jump to solution
08-30-2010 09:47 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: aisgro

Our gas pipe line feature class was created by in the past by tracing methods and we would like to improve the accuracy.  We have our designated valve point feature class GPS corrected to sub-foot accuracy and would like to shift the pipeline or snap it to these points.

We have explored "Spatial Adjustment" with ESRI tech support and found that the pipeline becomes distorted and valve points can be shifted unexpectedly.

Another recommendation we have had is the "Build Geometric Network" tool however we have not yet explored this.

We are looking for proper workflow suggestions from Gas Utility companies who have successfully dealt with this issue.

Thank you,

Tony Isgro
Vermont Gas Systems
aisgro@vermontgas.com
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: 1812

If you are using ArcGIS 10 and have the ArcInfo license, you can check out Editing toolbox - Snap tool. It should allow you to snap line vertices to points in a specified distance. Is that what you need?

We are researching on automated way to create spatial adjustment links. I wonder if your case could be one of the use scenarios. Could you share some sample data - the pipelines and the valve points? You can attach a zipfile of your sample data to an email to me:  dlee@esri.com

Thanks,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: 1812

If you are using ArcGIS 10 and have the ArcInfo license, you can check out Editing toolbox - Snap tool. It should allow you to snap line vertices to points in a specified distance. Is that what you need?

We are researching on automated way to create spatial adjustment links. I wonder if your case could be one of the use scenarios. Could you share some sample data - the pipelines and the valve points? You can attach a zipfile of your sample data to an email to me:  dlee@esri.com

Thanks,
0 Kudos