Selecting by polygon

08-25-2010 08:04 AM
RichardKrell
New Contributor
I am tearing my hair out over something that I am sure is a simple thing but I have been looking at for so long I am not seeing the obvious so any help would be greatly appriciated.
I started by looking at the code provided at http://resources.esri.com/arcgisserver/apis/flex/index.cfm?fa=codeGalleryDetails&scriptID=15872

Then I took pieces of it to create my own using my services.  I have attached the mxml file named testshape.txt.  I am also including a output of what happens after I draw the polygon and it is called output.txt.

It appears it is finding the records in the polygon and then I think it is creating the graphics element but that is where it is blowing up.  Please take a look and advise please.
0 Kudos
11 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: cgishack

After looking at the service it looks like you don't have a geometry column ( esriFieldTypeGeometry) in this feature class.
No geometry is being returned from the map service because there is no geometry field in the data.
I see you have  Point_X and Poiny_Y fields, but these are not seen as geometry by the server.
http://data.cmap.illinois.gov/ArcGIS/rest/services/Maps/TIP_Test/MapServer/0

Is this some event layer or something similar in your MXD  or do you have the Shape field turned off on the MXD ?

Drew
0 Kudos
RichardKrell
New Contributor
I had just noticed that a little while ago but am not yet able to define the geometry type in the service.  still reading.  Can you point me in the correct direction?
Also I just looked at the mxd and this is a shapefile with the geometry type defined as a point.  So I don't understand why it is not coming through when it is pulbished unless it is because this is one of a couple shapefiles in the project and the other one is a line.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The service will pull the geometry type out of the data.. You don�??t have to defined anything in the service itself.
I would go back to your Map Document (MXD) and see what the data has there.
Check to ensure your �??SHAPE�?� fields visibility is not turned off too (Layer Properties->Fields Tab)
0 Kudos
RichardKrell
New Contributor
Boy fast and furious here.  I checked and the shape field was turned off.  I will let you know what happens but I have a feeling that the problem may also stem from having a line shapefile as part of the mxd also.  I will let you know shortly and thanks for all your help.
0 Kudos
RichardKrell
New Contributor
Andrew,
That was part of it... Once I turned on the shape field it now is showing the Geometry type as esriGeometryPoint.  FANTASTIC... still not working but I think this is getting me closer.  I would like to keep this going and work on it for a while and see what happens.

Again thanks very much Andrew and I will let you know what happens.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Good to hear!
Don't forget to refresh both the service and the rest cache to see the changes take effect.

Once you fix your code a bit I am sure it will all come together and work!

Drew
0 Kudos
RichardKrell
New Contributor
yea did that and am still blowing up but I think it is in the line:

var point : MapPoint = new MapPoint(featureSet.features.geometry.x,featureSet.features.geometry.y);

Still the same information in the dump.  Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.

This is closer than I have been in days!!
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: richardkrell

If you are interested you can see what I have done thus far in a test service located at:
http://data.cmap.illinois.gov/tipbeta/shapes1.html
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I assume you are still using the same service......
I don't see a geometry Type listed
See Geometry Type using the link below for Maps/TIP_Test/0 layer
http://data.cmap.illinois.gov/ArcGIS/rest/services/Maps/TIP_Test/MapServer/0
0 Kudos