Electric Distribution model Geodatabase?

07-27-2010 08:18 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: alnesbit

Hello all,

I'm brand new to modeling an electric distribution system. I am converting an existing city CAD map to GIS. I have been reading the "Electric Distribution Data Model" PDF book. It seems pretty detailed.

Does anyone have an existing electric distribution system geodatabase I could look at? You can take out the data and just send me an empty mdb. I would love to look at your existing schema. I'm struggling to get started with which feature classes, which values for my domains, etc. I think I'm going to use the existing CAD legend to help build this but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ok, I found one in an unsuspecting place:

Electric Distribution Operations Dashboard
http://resources.arcgis.com/gallery/file/electric-gas/details?entryID=942DB175-1422-2418-A089-584099...

too bad there isn't a geodatabase model where the models are. But this template helped me immensely.

Cheers.
0 Kudos
JonathanTraut
New Contributor II
Hi Andrea

The PDF book that you refer to is based on a Telvent (ex-Miner & Miner) model, and is focused on overheads. Our own infrastructure is mostly underground, and thus we created our own geodatabase model.

If you have access to Visio I can send along our current model and give a few pointers.

Please post an e-mail address through which I can communicate.

Regards
Jon
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jon,

I have a Visio Viewer so that will work I think.

My email is abohn at greatriv dot com

I appreciate it.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
JoeHershman
MVP Regular Contributor
A bit late on the response, but I would consider using the Multi-Speak model if it can meet your needs.  This does have a gdb included  Using a standard model is a nice way to go if you can get away with it.  The MM based model will work well for UG and OH (I may be biased if you saw my complete resume), but is rather complex and perhaps overkill for smaller utilities.  All depends on what you really need to do with he data, of course.
Thanks,
-Joe
0 Kudos