Edit AGOL features in ArcGIS Desktop

09-08-2014 10:16 AM
NickWeil
New Contributor III

I have been having issues using ArcMap to edit features that are uploaded to my ArcGIS Online Account. I have a line feature and point feature in AGOL. I select the option to "Open in ArcGIS for Desktop" from the My Content screen. The file opens in ArcMap with all features present. I select to create a local copy for editing and it thinks for a minute and creates the copy. I start an edit session, make some edits and then save my edits. When I select to synchronize local edits with server the process runs and all of the edits I made are deleted and I am left in the same place I started.

These point and line feature classes both have many fields with domains as well as attachments. I have done this before with more "basic" features and have not had a problem. Any ideas of what might be going wrong would be a big help.

1 Reply
NickWeil
New Contributor III

I had found a solution to this problem and wanted to share it in case that it helps someone else...

It seems like it is best to publish all of your feature classes as separate feature layers to ArcGIS Online. The feature class with domains was still causing the trouble after being separated into its own feature layer. After a few weeks of emailing & phone calls with ESRI tech support, the solution was to upgrade to 10.2.2 (I had been in 10.2). This made everything work much better and allowed me to synchronize my local edits.