Tile Cache becomes Black and White when Added to a Mosaic Dataset

09-07-2014 11:58 PM
Labels (1)
NevinWilson
New Contributor

Hi All

I have generated a tile cache as a natural colour composite (with RGB values) which becomes black and white when I Add it as a Raster to a Mosaic Dataset in a file geodatabase.

Would anybody have any suggestions on how to rectify this?

Thanks

Nevin

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Nevin,

Did you add the tile package using UNC paths (i.e. \\<server name>\<folder>)?  The black and white tiles are usually an indication the client machine cannot find the images.  For example, if I add rasters to a mosaic dataset using the workspace 'C:\data\rasters', and then a colleague views the mosaic dataset on their machine they will receive black and white tiles once they zoom to a large enough scale and the overviews are no longer accessed.  This is because the mosaic dataset uses the overviews at smaller scales, but at larger scales the raw imagery is used.  The colleague's machine is looking for the rasters on their machine at the path 'C:\data\rasters', but they don't exist.  They exist on my machine, so if I loaded the rasters using the UNC path, the client machine knows to look for the rasters on the correct server.

0 Kudos
NevinWilson
New Contributor

Thanks for your response Jake.

I probably didn't explain the problem overly well in my question!

The pixels in the tile cache have RGB values but as a mosaic dataset they carry only single values. In my case, I am dealing with aerial photography which is in colour in the cache but then actually becomes black and white photography in the mosaic.

I've attached a few screenshots to give you more detail.

Nevin

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Right-click on the Image portion of the Mosaic Dataset within the table of contents > Properties > Symbology.  Check to make sure you have this set to RGB Composite and not Stretched.  Ex:

screen.png

0 Kudos
NevinWilson
New Contributor

Hi Jake

Sorry about my delay in replying!

I did have the symbology set as RGB composite. I have done a work around and resolved it by adding the raster into an existing mosaic dataset within a GDB.

Thanks for your help anyway

Nevin

0 Kudos