Setting up GeoEvent Processor with Monitoring Data from PostgreSQL

09-08-2014 06:38 AM
JustinShepard
Occasional Contributor II

I'm thinking through how to set up services for mapping, downloading, and graphing data collected at monitoring stations. If the data is entered into a PostgreSQL database how would GeoEvent processor tie into that, or is there a better setup than using GeoEvent?

I haven't used GeoEvent before, but I was thinking that a connector could be setup to poll the PostgreSQL database at regular intervals, perform any preprocessing that can be done, and then serve out the map services through ArcGIS Server. If that setup works would the map service data be available for a user to select and download (with an option to download as shapefile, csv, or Excel) too? I'm assuming that the services would support anything that data coming from a non-sde would support.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MarkBramer
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Justin,

Your ideas are pretty much accurate. 

You would first need your Postgres database to contain feature classes (as opposed to just standalone tables).  These would be served as feature services via ArcGIS Server.  In GeoEvent's Manager web app (it looks and behaves very much like ArcGIS Server's Manager), you would set up a new Data Store and point that to your ArcGIS Server.  In GeoEvent's Manager, you would then create a new GeoEvent Input of "Poll an ArcGIS Server for Features".  This is where you set the refresh interval of the polling, what layer to poll, if you only want to retrieve "new" features, etc. 

Regarding serving map services, the easiest way is to use a GeoEvent "Add a feature" or "Update a feature" output.  "Add a feature" simply appends a feature class with GeoEvents (again, via an ArcGIS Server feature service) that came out of a particular GeoEvent service.  "Update a feature" simply updates an existing feature with the new values (including geometry) that came out of a particular GeoEvent service.  The feature class being appended or updated is a regular ArcGIS Server map/feature service layer, so most ArcGIS Server functionality is available (probably with the exception of any GDB version-related stuff).

Hope this helps.

Mark