Why are unavailable tools listed?

Jump to solution
09-05-2014 09:59 AM
BruceLang
Occasional Contributor III

Is there a GOOD reason why ESRI continues to display toolboxes and tools in the "system toolboxes" for extensions which are not installed?

It's frustrating to locate a tool, to accomplish some task, only to find it cannot be used.

I've submitted this request to the Ideas section back in 2010 http://ideas.arcgis.com/ideaView?id=087300000008HzXAAU

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Now I get it...it is far easier to include the whole lot and manage it by license level rather than distribute separate versions based upon that level.  Also, the advantage is that you can examine the functionality via the help files etc without purchasing a higher level of the software

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You can toggle it off...simply right click on Arctoolbox at the top of the Arctoolbox tree and choose to hide those tools that you don't have a license for...you won't see them again

BruceLang
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Dan,

The "Hide Locked Tools" setting is already checked on the R-Click properties of the "ArcToolBox" within ArcMap Desktop. Tried turning this setting off then back on, but no change.

The "Hide Locked Tools" is also "checked" in ArcCatalog too.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Now I get it...it is far easier to include the whole lot and manage it by license level rather than distribute separate versions based upon that level.  Also, the advantage is that you can examine the functionality via the help files etc without purchasing a higher level of the software

0 Kudos