Error Message: Sorry, Map Tour loading failed Retry.

Jump to solution
09-03-2014 10:16 AM
AaronAustin
New Contributor III

Storybook map tour is not working. Error Message: Sorry, Map Tour loading failed Retry. I helped a coworker develop a presentation using a story map. The presentation is tomorrow and now the whole thing won't load or only partially loads. Is anyone having a similar problem?

http://utahdnr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapTour/index.html?appid=8ba1056576654d1a8af6732ba68719aa&webmap...

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AaronAustin
New Contributor III

So, I think this is what happened. We changed ownership of both the web map and the application. The application continued working fine until today when she tried to make additional edits to it. That seems to be when we started getting the loading error. There may have been a warning about this potentially happening when I changed the ownership, but if there was I ignored it. If there isn't a warning, it would be nice to have one. So the lesson is, don't change ownership. We have created a new Map Journal with the same web map as the base, so I don't want to mess with the ownership again because I'm afraid it would cause problems with the new Map Journal. So we will just go from here and hope that it works and that we've learned our lesson. (I also noticed that I said before that it was shared publicly. I think I only shared the application publicly and not the web map. So that's a good note to remember, you have to share all the associated files publicly, not just the application if you want people to be able to see it publicly.)

Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MaureenKamau
New Contributor III

Hi @Aaron,

Does this issue occur on different browsers? Have you recently changed the owner of the web application or web map being used to create the web application (Map tour application)? Also, if you try recreating the map tour application do you still encounter the error message? Is the story map shared publicly?

0 Kudos
AaronAustin
New Contributor III

I have tried it in Google Chrome and IE with the same problem. We did change the owner several weeks ago. It worked fine for a while after that change. Would it fix it if we changed the owner back to what it previously was? I'm not sure what you mean by recreating it. Is there a way to recreate it with all that was in it before other than starting from scratch? It is shared publicly. My co-worker has started recreating her presentation as a Map Journal and it is not giving the same error.

0 Kudos
MaureenKamau
New Contributor III

Yes, changing the owner of either the web application or the web Map containing the feature data will cause the web map to fail. A good suggestion would be trying to change the owner back to who it was originally. If it still fails then after your co-worker has remade the map journal, avoid changing the owner.

When I say recreating, I basically mean opening the web map and publishing it again using the map tour template. There are two ways to do this;

1) If you want to create a web Map from the template:

a. Open arcgis online and login

b. Create a new map, do not add any layers

c. Save the web Map with a basemap only

d. Open the builder and add points and images in the builder. 

e. Save the map.

2) If you want to create a Map from file

a. Create a Map in ArcMap desktop

b. Create a shape file or layer with the following fields

The values for fields name required are as follows (case insensitive):

1. Name: name, title, name-short, name-long

2. Description: description, caption, snippet, comment

3. Picture: pic_url, url, pic, picture

4. Thumbnail: thumb_url, thumb, thumbnail

5. Color : icon_color, color, style

c. Publish the  Map to arcgis online as a web map

d. Create a Map Tour template from the web map.

e. If you need to make changes , change the Map document in ArcMap desktop, republish recreate the template.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, there is no way to recreate the map tour if all the points and images were added in manually.

AaronAustin
New Contributor III

So, I think this is what happened. We changed ownership of both the web map and the application. The application continued working fine until today when she tried to make additional edits to it. That seems to be when we started getting the loading error. There may have been a warning about this potentially happening when I changed the ownership, but if there was I ignored it. If there isn't a warning, it would be nice to have one. So the lesson is, don't change ownership. We have created a new Map Journal with the same web map as the base, so I don't want to mess with the ownership again because I'm afraid it would cause problems with the new Map Journal. So we will just go from here and hope that it works and that we've learned our lesson. (I also noticed that I said before that it was shared publicly. I think I only shared the application publicly and not the web map. So that's a good note to remember, you have to share all the associated files publicly, not just the application if you want people to be able to see it publicly.)

Thanks

0 Kudos