ArcGIS Online: Adding a csv layer with no spatial reference info...impossible?

09-02-2014 12:10 PM
TinaGrant
New Contributor III

I have a table with associated country names but no spatial reference data, that I'd like to upload as a csv layer. Normally I'd find a shapefile with boundary info and join the table to it but I don't have access to ArcGIS Desktop for now. Is there a workaround, e.g. adding polygon data directly to the table?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor

You could try something like CLAVIN to calculate lat/long for each country, it depends on how many features you have:

CLAVIN Web Application

0 Kudos
TinaGrant
New Contributor III

Thanks for the suggestion. I probably should have been more specific: I'm trying to visualize some economic data and I have no geographic features other than the country name.

0 Kudos
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor

If you add two columns to your data called latitude and longitude, you can then use the above link to get the coordinates for each country, add them to your table then you should be able to view your data as points on the map.

0 Kudos
Reynaldde_Castro
Occasional Contributor

You will need some location data to be able to add the location.  The simplest thing to do is to add a latitude and longitude column to your csv file.  ArcGIS Online will use these columns as the location fields and render them accordingly.

0 Kudos
TinaGrant
New Contributor III

I'm trying to do a choropleth map, I need polygons. I guess it'll just have to wait until I get back to the office. Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos