AnsweredAssumed Answered

Rotate raster cell orientation for Polygon to Raster tool

Question asked by mattattacular on Sep 1, 2014
Latest reply on Sep 21, 2014 by mattattacular

I have been using the Polygon to Raster tool to map population counts to a predefined grid of points. The raster I had created (in my StatePlane projected coordinate system) align perfectly with my grid of points such that the point lies in the center of each raster cell. However, this only works if my rectangular grid is oriented East-West. I have several situations where my rectangular grid is oriented at some angle, and I am trying to figure out how to change the orientation of the raster cells to match the orientation of the grid (so grid points still fall at the center of each raster cell).

I have searched through forums for solutions, but can't quite find exactly what I am looking for. There are some suggestions about using the Rotate Raster tool, but this assumes that I am bringing in a raster like an image and just need to rotate it into place. My issue is I need to generate a raster in-place to sample from the Census-block polygons (i.e. using Polygon to Raster), but with the raster cells properly oriented.

If necessary, I can provide some visual examples.

Outcomes