Rotate raster cell orientation for Polygon to Raster tool

Jump to solution
09-01-2014 09:44 AM
MatthewLeVine
New Contributor

I have been using the Polygon to Raster tool to map population counts to a predefined grid of points. The raster I had created (in my StatePlane projected coordinate system) align perfectly with my grid of points such that the point lies in the center of each raster cell. However, this only works if my rectangular grid is oriented East-West. I have several situations where my rectangular grid is oriented at some angle, and I am trying to figure out how to change the orientation of the raster cells to match the orientation of the grid (so grid points still fall at the center of each raster cell).

I have searched through forums for solutions, but can't quite find exactly what I am looking for. There are some suggestions about using the Rotate Raster tool, but this assumes that I am bringing in a raster like an image and just need to rotate it into place. My issue is I need to generate a raster in-place to sample from the Census-block polygons (i.e. using Polygon to Raster), but with the raster cells properly oriented.

If necessary, I can provide some visual examples.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MatthewLeVine
New Contributor

Thanks for the feedback. What I eventually went with was avoiding using raster altogether. Instead I ended up using the Create Thiessen Polygons tool. I used my grid points as the seeds for the Voronoi diagram, and created a mask for the extent of the polygon. The result was a polygon feature class that was essentially a grid of squares with each cell oriented in the right direction and the grid points at the center of each square polygon.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The actual alignment of the raster cells is not rotated, just the data extent and its common data.  Analogy, would be to rotate a piece of paper on a screen...the paper's orientation changes but the screen on which it lies doesn't

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Raster datasets are always oriented horizontally in xy space.  You could perhaps create a grid of your your cell centroids using the Raster To Point tool and rotate them using the vector editing tools in ArcMap.

Another approach (that may be more straightforward for you) is to create a sampling feature class using the Create Fishnet tool. This tool allows you to create a rotated sampling grid by specifying an origin and a "y axis coordinate" to orient the rotated grid. This tool makes polygons but you could convert them to sampling points using Feature To Point.

0 Kudos
MatthewLeVine
New Contributor

Thanks for the feedback. What I eventually went with was avoiding using raster altogether. Instead I ended up using the Create Thiessen Polygons tool. I used my grid points as the seeds for the Voronoi diagram, and created a mask for the extent of the polygon. The result was a polygon feature class that was essentially a grid of squares with each cell oriented in the right direction and the grid points at the center of each square polygon.

0 Kudos