Isochrones analysis tutorial

Jump to solution
08-27-2014 09:31 PM
jarrygoidon1
New Contributor II

Hi There,

Is there any one out there can help me with Isochrones analysis tutorial complete with data?

Best Regards,

Jarry

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The one most suited to your purposes is the Service Area  you will have to read up in the help files on how to construct a network data set and set its parameters.  Once that is done, the procedure is quite simple.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Pretty open...Isochrones are just lines of equal value, which could include anything, such as elevation data (aka contour data).  Is there anything you are particularly interested in?  Like Contouring for example

0 Kudos
jarrygoidon1
New Contributor II

Yeah thanks for the quick response. I am actually interested in the number of people who live in certain number of times, for example by using this analysis I will be able to get the number of population within 5,10,15 minutes walking distance from the center.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Okay, if this is straight line distance, then you are looking at a simple buffer, whereby you just need to estimate a walking speed, from which you can calculate the distance travelled.  This latter value is the buffer radius.  I am assuming that you would prefer travel along roads and paths.  If this is the case, then you need the Network Analyst Extension which doesn't come cheap

0 Kudos
jarrygoidon1
New Contributor II

Yes, you are right..I have complete road network data and census data which I think enough for me to run the isochrones analysis but I don't have the step by step guide to run this analysis:(. Great if you can guide me:)

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The one most suited to your purposes is the Service Area  you will have to read up in the help files on how to construct a network data set and set its parameters.  Once that is done, the procedure is quite simple.

jarrygoidon1
New Contributor II

Yeah..I think you have guided me to the correct path to start with the Isochrones analysis. I need to try it out and will see if it works or not

Many thanks!

0 Kudos