ArcMap: Labeling showing everywhere, even on top of other shapefiles

Jump to solution
08-27-2014 08:22 AM
NickSchmidt
New Contributor

ArcMap is showing labeling on top of every shapefile.  How do I limit the areas where labeling is occurring?  For example, I do not want the labeling to appear where there are other shapefiles on top of it.  How do I limit labeling where I drew polygons or other shapes?  I don't want to have to create a new smaller shapefile and I don't want to have to convert all of the labels into annotation.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SamuelTroth
New Contributor III

Hi Nick, you should be able to achieve this result using feature weights, whether using the Maplex or Standard Label Engine you can assign weight values to features to discourage labels from placing over them. One can also specify an exclusion zone using weights, an area which labels will entirely avoid. If you give some more details of your problem then I can give more specific instructions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
SamuelTroth
New Contributor III

Hi Nick, you should be able to achieve this result using feature weights, whether using the Maplex or Standard Label Engine you can assign weight values to features to discourage labels from placing over them. One can also specify an exclusion zone using weights, an area which labels will entirely avoid. If you give some more details of your problem then I can give more specific instructions.

0 Kudos