measure grain size of debris flows

08-25-2014 12:56 AM
juliajiang
New Contributor

I have a DEM data which describes surface of debris flows after failure of landslide dam.

now i want to measure the grain size of debris flow, and find out the rule of grain size distribution.

For measure the Grain size of debris flow, I applied Spatial analysis->Curvature to calculate the grain size, is that correct?

the result is a tiff file and have no attribution for each grain. any suggestion?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The references ascribing slope and/or plan or profile curvature to estimates of grain size for unconsolidated surficial materials is pretty thin.  Do you have any specific reference that you are working with?  And how are you going to attribute the terrain derivatives to those for unconsolidated materials and rule out bedrock outcrops?

0 Kudos
juliajiang
New Contributor

thank you.

my research area is limited and i have 2 sets of original data, one is 1 meter point data another one is random point data. each point data has X,Y,Z information.

my goal is going to measure the grain size, and find out the grain size distribution of area.

I use Topo to raster tool to built up DEM data, then I use curvature to estimate of grain size. the result is not very bad. and i am not sure this method is the good one, also i could not go further but here.

'specific reference', I don't know what is it. for the next question, that is what i am worried about it.

0 Kudos