Enterprise Arcgis Application

08-25-2014 12:41 AM
shafitrumboo
New Contributor III

We are intending to build enterprise Arcgis application based (Widget based+Arcgis Java script+Arcgis server 10.2+ MS SQL server). It will contain tools for reporting , editing data, analysis, decision making, data validation.

Application will contain users with certain roles (abitlity to use tools and data based on role and permission)

We have both spatial and non-spatial functionalities.

Let me give brief about reporting only

In Reporting:

1. Pre-designed and pre-styled reports.

2. The other functional requirement is an ability for end users (not programmers, just normal admin users) to create custom reports to design and style reports for other general users of application like Componentone and Crystal Report in .net provides

Question: I wonder should I use only Javascript or should take leverage from asp.net also.

Question: Should I use WAB?

The high end design of the appplication is in attached image.

Drawing1.jpg

Tags (1)
13 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Shafi,

As there is no build in reporting capabilities just in the ArcGIS JavaScript API, you would need to use .net reporting capabilities like you mention along with JS api.

The question of using the WAB is very dependent on your UI requirements, timeline, etc. If you are not wanting to spend a lot of time on your apps UI and want to use something that is already built for you then WAB is good if your time line can wait for the WAB to be released. Currently the WAB is only in beta and  beta licensing does not allow for its use in production applications.

PaoloMilani1
New Contributor III

Hi Shafi,

I suggest you to use WAB because you can:

1. to use the printingTools service of ArcGISServer that comes with a predefined set of map layouts to choose from and

if you want to use your own layouts, you can publish your own service for printing web maps

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Using_your_own_layouts_for_printing/015400...

2. for Custom report you can always use PrintingTools

Now I'm developing a WebApplication based on WAB where the user, depending of his profile, has different tools (Widget) available

and each widget calls external WS. The profile, besides, defines for the users what geographic layers are available

shafitrumboo
New Contributor III

Do you wrap your application in asp.net to take leverage from asp.net capabilities?

How much it is difficult to change the UI

0 Kudos
PaoloMilani1
New Contributor III

Hi shafi,

I'm using Java to wrap my application. To change the UI I start from WebAppBuilder template then I modify the css. Now I'm developing a widget to call my streams of data exposed by GeoEvent.

shafitrumboo
New Contributor III

Paolo MilaniRobert Scheitlin, GISP

In this Scenario does ArcGIS for portal has any advantage. Please help me about how I will manage authentication for both arcgis server rest services and application

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Shafi,

No I do not believe that Portal would provide any benefit in your scenario. I can not give much advice in this area except you should be researching oAuth2 as a means to handle authorization for your app and ArcGIS Server services.

0 Kudos
shafitrumboo
New Contributor III

How you disable the widgets for users. Can you give me some lead

0 Kudos
JunshanLiu
Occasional Contributor III

Which widget will be show/hidden, totally depends on app's configuration. So, you can use a web service to generate app's config file depends on user's privilege, and then pass the config to app by using config parameter: ?config=<web service url>

shafitrumboo
New Contributor III

@ I wonder where you configure the security for map services in the given context like we have custom application based on WAB,  Arcgis portal and arcgis server hosting map services.?

What is workflow like

Step1 creating mxd and publising it as map services

Then other steps including securing map services

And also can you tel more about this config.

Robert Scheitlin, GISP Derek Law Rebecca Strauch

0 Kudos