Shifted Coordinates in Maps for Office Export CSV

08-22-2014 10:46 AM
JayMeehl
New Contributor III

I have geocoded in Maps for Office using our published geocoding services and compared the georeferenced points to the same geocoded layer from ArcGIS Desktop.  The latitude and longitude coordinates consistently place the points from the exported Maps for Office CSV file northwest 1.07 meters from the geocoded points in desktop.  Anyone experienced this yet?  And if so why is this happening?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Geocoding to within a meter? Do you have an example of both coordinate sets?

0 Kudos
JayMeehl
New Contributor III

Dan,

Our geocoding service is a composite so geocoded points are parcel centroid, then road interpolation, etc.  So I am using the same geocoding service just geocoding within ArcGIS desktop and generating lat/long and also in Maps for Office, then exporting to CSV which automatically addes lat/long.   I just compared the two point layers - more to see which locators each were using and if they were similar. I did a spatial join and found that there was a consistent difference between the two different point layers of approximately 1.07 meters.  I am sure this is probably due to projection on the fly and behind the scenes coordinate generation but wondered if others had found this same issue.  I can join tables and send a list of a few coordinates.

Jay

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Is it possible there's rounding going on? Although the offset shouldn't be so consistent then.

0 Kudos