Does a rest service need to be restarted if source filegeodatabase is updated?

08-20-2014 09:14 AM
RyanSadler
New Contributor III

Does a rest service (running on ArcGIS Server 10.1 sp1) need to be refreshed (restarted) if the underlying filegeodatabase is updated?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor

Ryan,

it depends on what you mean by the database being updated. If you mean new features added, deleted or changed ( attributes or geometry) then No. But if there is a change to the database schema I.e. New fields added to an existing feature class or new feature class added then Yes.

regards

Anthony

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Is that something new in 10.1?  Because in 10.0 you need to restart it. First image shows a saved edit.  Second image shows an active map service moments after the edit was made and saved, without restarting it...

Edit.png

MapService.png

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Joe,

It looks like you are editing an SDE feature class.  Be sure that you are editing the same version that the service is created from.  Also, you may need to clear your display cache (in ArcMap, Customize > ArcMap Options > Display Cache > Clear Cache).

0 Kudos
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor

I have found that whilst synchronising data between two databases arcmap would not immediately show the changes. If you started an editing session they would the show up. I think it's a bug with arcmap refreshing.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Anthony,

After synchronizing, try clicking the 'Refresh' tool on the Versioning toolbar.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Anthony and Jake- oops... My bad!  The map service(s) that I publish combines feature classes from from a SDE geodatabase as well as a file geodatabase.  Jake, you're observation is correct that my screen shots showed an edit to and sde centerlines feature class.  Only....  The map service consumes a FGD centerlines feature class! 

Face Palm.....

However, in a lame attempt to redeem myself, it only takes a second to refresh a published service so I haven't lost anything (but my pride) in doing so for the past year or so.... 

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
RyanSadler
New Contributor III

Thanks Anthony!  This helps 🙂

0 Kudos