AnsweredAssumed Answered

How should we best organise data for an Enterprise solution?

Question asked by gcooke76 on Aug 21, 2014
Latest reply on Aug 22, 2014 by gcooke76

Hi all,

I am in the process of designing an enterprise solution for our GIS. Previously we were doing everything in file geodatabases and it was hard to get the right data out to the right people at the right time and make our GIS data available for the whole business to use in support of their daily activities.

Speaking with our GIS manager i have come up with a design, which includes multiple databases and several different schemas within these databases. What i want to do is make sure i design a solution that is in-line with current best practices. I know the multiple database model is now unsupported in ESRI post 10.1 / 10.2. How are people organising a really large GIS now? Are there any good best practice guidelines anywhere? Should i be looking at multiple schemas and multiple databases or is it ok to just put everything in one big pot?

I thought i had this sussed, then started to read some of the guidance in the ESRI help and began to doubt myself. I reliase this question is quite open ended and there are potentially lots of options, but any guidance would be gratefully recieved!!

Outcomes