Portal for ArcGIS Hosted Service Types

Jump to solution
08-19-2014 07:45 AM
MaryEllen_Perko
Occasional Contributor II

Hi.  I've been using ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Online for Organizations for a couple of years.  We are looking at Portal for ArcGIS.  I can't seem to find the answer to a question I have about the types of services you can publish using Portal for ArcGIS.  One of the limitations of AGOL is that you can only publish tiled services or feature services; not dynamic map services like you can publish using ArcGIS Server.  Dynamic map services are a better solution for a lot of the large data sizes and labeling requirements we have. 

From what I can find, it looks like only the same types of services are published through Portal as AGOL. I've always been told that AGOL is a scaled down version of ArcGIS Server so the lack of service hosting types and capabilities has been understood.  But, I would have expected those options to exist for something that sits on top of a full ArcGIS Server install.  And maybe it does.  I just can't find that information.  So, to start, can anyone tell me what exactly a Portal/AGOL feature service is from an ArcGIS Server standpoint?

Thanks for the help.

Mary Ellen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor

Hi Mary,

If your Portal site is configured to use ArcGIS Server as a "hosting server", then only the two service types you mentioned are available; feature and tiled services. One of the advantages of this is that it allows users to publish CSV and shapefiles as feature services from the portal website.

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

However, dynamic map services from ArcGIS Server can be registered as items in your portal site and consumed in the map viewer just like they can be in an ArcGIS Online organization. It all depends on how you want to use Portal with ArcGIS Server.

Hope this helps!

-Dan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor

Hi Mary,

If your Portal site is configured to use ArcGIS Server as a "hosting server", then only the two service types you mentioned are available; feature and tiled services. One of the advantages of this is that it allows users to publish CSV and shapefiles as feature services from the portal website.

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

However, dynamic map services from ArcGIS Server can be registered as items in your portal site and consumed in the map viewer just like they can be in an ArcGIS Online organization. It all depends on how you want to use Portal with ArcGIS Server.

Hope this helps!

-Dan

0 Kudos
MaryEllen_Perko
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you.  Your link provided the confirmation I needed.  I don't know why I didn't find it when I was "looking everywhere."

Thanks again,
Mary Ellen

0 Kudos