So I've been looking for a good explanation of the difference between how Shape.len or Shape.len and Shape.STLength() is handled in ArcGIS. If anyone can confirm or correct the following for me and explain them better I invite you to do so.
Here is what I believe I know:
- Both are automatically calculated geometry fields
- Both fields are permanent and cannot be removed
- Shape.len/Shape.length is calculated by ArcGIS while Shape.STLength() is calculated by Microsoft SQL Server or another DBMS
- Shape.STLength() wasn't used by ArcSDE up until a recent upgrade, because it wasn't until our recent upgrade to 10.2 when we started experienceing issues.
- Because Shape.STLength() is not calculated by Esri, ArcGIS for Mobile and ArcPad both have difficulties with the field because it also cannot be null.