will a map tour layer edit overwrite a story map?

Jump to solution
08-13-2014 08:39 PM
deleted-user-AzQ5lcTQbS2a
New Contributor III

So creating a story map from a CSV file also creates a web map.  I then go to the web map and add another data layer, change the basemap, etc.  I make changes to the story map in builder mode to adjust a point location.  Then go back to the web map to adjust the transparency of a polygon layer and save the web map.

Given that there is a map tour layer of my points from the original CSV file in my web map in their original XY locations, when I save the web map will it overwrite the point adjustments that I made while editing the story map directly?

Help me understand the relationship between the map tour layer in the web map and the geometry within the story map builder mode. 

thanks!

-sp

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III

The layer that you see in your webmap is your Map Tour data source.

When you have uploaded your CSV in Map Tour Builder, the CSV has been converted to that layer.

If you edit it that layer through ArcGIS Online Map Viewer, you will notice that the changes are reflected in Map Tour.

This is true for all attributes expect the X and Y. The X and Y attributes are kept for reference, but the actual geometry as been converted to WebMercator and is stored as a layer geometry. So, editing X and Y won't change the point location in Map Tour, you can use the Edit tool and move the points like any other layer.

It is safe to edit the webmap in any editor that supports it. If you happen to add other layer that are valid Map Tour data source (like you duplicate the layer), the uppest layer in the TOC will be used and the other one ignored, more details on GitHub.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
GregoryL_Azou

The layer that you see in your webmap is your Map Tour data source.

When you have uploaded your CSV in Map Tour Builder, the CSV has been converted to that layer.

If you edit it that layer through ArcGIS Online Map Viewer, you will notice that the changes are reflected in Map Tour.

This is true for all attributes expect the X and Y. The X and Y attributes are kept for reference, but the actual geometry as been converted to WebMercator and is stored as a layer geometry. So, editing X and Y won't change the point location in Map Tour, you can use the Edit tool and move the points like any other layer.

It is safe to edit the webmap in any editor that supports it. If you happen to add other layer that are valid Map Tour data source (like you duplicate the layer), the uppest layer in the TOC will be used and the other one ignored, more details on GitHub.

deleted-user-AzQ5lcTQbS2a
New Contributor III

Thank you; that's very helpful points of clarification and also for the github link!

Is it correct to say that if I edit the map tour while in builder mode, that will not update the layer in the web map?  Or will it?

I am trying to determine best practice for a building a story map where the XY locations are marking a polygon and these points may be adjusted within that area based on admin preference. I am using the hosted template.

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

You are welcome.

Yes the edits you do in builder will also update the webmap layer.

Your use case seems interesting, hope you will succeed. Collaborating between multiple users and using different tool can be tricky but there must be a way

Note that using a Feature Service (require to have ArcGIS Server or be a member of an Organization) may help you to have more flexible editing workflow. When you start builder your Tour, that's the option "upload pictures from my computer"

0 Kudos