Special Education Bus Routing/VRP - grouping/restricting students on each route by grade range or other categories not specific to a bus?

08-13-2014 10:01 AM
ChrisSaylor
New Contributor II

I don't think this is possible via NA, but it's worth a shot. I need to route special education students to school, requiring a pickup at their home, delivery at school, and the reverse in the afternoon.  The client wants constraints such as "only K-5 students can ride together" and "only grades 6-8 can ride together", etc.  I was hoping to figure out some way to use the Capacities field to handle this, but the logic won't work unless I can change each capacities value in real time while the process is running to signal something like "an 8th grader is already on this route, so this 4th grader cannot be on this route".  Unless I pre-allocate specific buses/routes to certain grade ranges, is there another way to group routes based on student constraints? 

There are other factors I need to limit students on the same route (school schedules) that will drastically increase the number of potential categories, and it seems to defeat the purpose if I need to pre-allocate a bus to a specific category which may have a small population.  I have over 300 students and 200 schools, so manually re-assigning after the fact seems like a huge amount of work.

I'm doing much of this via ArcObjects, but I still don't see any way to account for the situation.

Thanks!

Chris

0 Kudos
0 Replies