Explorer for ArcGIS, iPad App

Jump to solution
08-13-2014 01:41 PM
ThomasFurcron
Occasional Contributor

Explorer for ArcGIS

We have been testing using maps in the field using this app and ArcGIS online for the last Month.  It is set up to display an image in the pop-up media section on ArcGIS Online.   The image comes up fine and without issue in the pop-up, but when we first started using the app you could click on it and it would open within the explorer application full screen making it much easier to read.

In one of the recent updates it started jumping out and opening in Safari or at lease trying to.  On our test iPads we have blocked Safari, so the image doesn't open and is unable to make it any larger.

I am trying to figure out if this functionality was removed or if maybe I can change something to get it back to open in Explorer for AcrGIS?

Thanks for your help.

Tom Furcron

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BrentPierce
Esri Contributor

Tom,

When there is a URL associated with the image in the popup configuration in the webmap we were opening that image URL in our own web view in the application. This worked fine for most HTTP requests but there were some cases where this did not work so well when that HTTP request first required authentication. To account for this we changed the implementation of opening a image from a popup in Explorer to use the native web browser (Safari on iOS) which handles all URL resources robustly.

Hope this helps,

-Brent

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RamlaShihab
New Contributor II

If you are on Desktop you can revert back to IE by clicking the Internet options and select the IE7 to be your default browser.

the second Question for the Ipad configuration did you download IE in iPad?

0 Kudos
ThomasFurcron
Occasional Contributor

You seem to be talking about Internet Explorer for Windows.  The Explorer for ArcGIS is an iPad App.  Similar name very confusing.

0 Kudos
ThomasFurcron
Occasional Contributor

Brent Pierce

Brent I know you had answered another question related to the Explorer for ArcGIS app for me recently, any insight in to why, we are no longer able to open attachments with in the application?

Thanks

Tom

0 Kudos
BrentPierce
Esri Contributor

Tom,

When there is a URL associated with the image in the popup configuration in the webmap we were opening that image URL in our own web view in the application. This worked fine for most HTTP requests but there were some cases where this did not work so well when that HTTP request first required authentication. To account for this we changed the implementation of opening a image from a popup in Explorer to use the native web browser (Safari on iOS) which handles all URL resources robustly.

Hope this helps,

-Brent

0 Kudos
ThomasFurcron
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Brent, that explanation helps a lot.  Currently our IT Staff is blocking Safari on the ipads we are testing out.  So when we upgraded to the new version we were clicking on the image in the popup and nothing was happening.  Now at least I have the reasoning behind it.

Tom

0 Kudos
BrentPierce
Esri Contributor

Blocking Safari

0 Kudos