Failed to Create Replica in Collector

08-11-2014 05:04 PM
KarenFolger
Occasional Contributor II

I have finally gotten Collector to work "connected" but the disconnected editing seems to be the holy grail.  A lot of things had to be fixed 1st.  Upgrade geodb to 10.2.2, unregister as versioned, enable archiving, oh, but 1st migrate the storage type to geometry.  Oh, and that little hint about adding the tag line of "offline-ready" to the Portal map before the Download button would show up on Collector on my Android device.  And then I have to figure out how to get my tile package on there.  So if I click download and use the tile package I get the Failed to Create Replica error.  If I try to use ESRI basemaps I get a different message - something about Unable to generate token, Invalid Username or Password.  For what?  I'm the db admin on the map services and db and I had to login with my credentials to view the feature service.  So what is this?  What other hoop do we have to jump through?  How do we actually get this stuff to work.  I wish it worked as easily as ArcGIS for Windows Mobile, which had syncing with usb.  Server 10.2.2, SQL 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008 R2.

Tags (2)
25 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

For your Create Replica error can you try to generate a replica through the REST endpoint of the service to see it is able to create a replica there. You can also enable the debug logs on your server and see if there are any info being reported back through the server logs.

For the Esri basemaps you will need to have them setup as a proxied service item in your portal. You can read about setting that up here:Take maps offline—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

Cheers

Russ

KarenFolger

I have no idea how you would generate a replica through the rest endpoint.  I ran the download with debug on the Server and got something that seems to point to the sync service.  That service is on. Maybe there's a setting that I'm not aware of. sync_error.jpg

0 Kudos
KarenFolger

I'm starting to get a clue that maybe it has something to do with consuming services from an ArcGIS Server install without the Web Adaptor which is a different machine than the Portal installation.  Both machines are in the same "Organization" however.

0 Kudos
GISSupport3
Occasional Contributor III

G'day Karen!

We had similar issues, plus more.

Do you have domains / sub types in the feature class(es) making up the feature service?

If yes, try making a separate feature service for each feature class.

0 Kudos
KjetilNymoen
New Contributor III

Karen: Been through all this, and I am able to do Offline using Collector. BUT I am only using one single point featureclass, and I only have one layer in my map service.
I am using ArcGIS Online, but Portal should work.
So try to set up something simple first. Maybe try to create a test featureclass and get that one work.
Good Luck!
Kjetil

0 Kudos
KarenFolger

I also am using one single point feature class but I'm afraid Portal is very different with security than ArcGIS online, especially behind a firewall.  I will probably be testing installing the web adapter (it's awesome to have a test server) this week to see if Portal can use services from a different machine than the Portal is installed on IF it has web adaptor.  Just following the hunches.

0 Kudos
KarenFolger

Installing the web adapter on my server did not make any difference in the ability to download.  Still get the replica error even though I've "changed" services.  Same service but just accessed through a different address.  Do you need to register an ArcGIS Server with the Portal? 

0 Kudos
GISSupport3
Occasional Contributor III

Hmmm ... back to Russell Roberts‌ first suggestion ...

The REST endpoint he refers to will be:

https://<your_server>/<your_adaptor>/rest/services/<your_feature_service>/FeatureServer/createReplica

0 Kudos
KarenFolger

Well, if what you're saying is just to put in that web address, then I get a screen shot with some empty fields and I have no idea what to put in them.  If I leave it blank I get a message "Unable to complete operation. Failed to parse geometry from input JSON".  If I'm supposed to pass it some parameters I don't know what those are - thought the software was supposed to do that for me! replica.JPG

0 Kudos