Advanced home page customization

08-10-2014 06:09 AM
GaëtanLAVENU
Esri Contributor

Beyond the standard features of ArcGIS Online, there are some advanced capabilities to customize the look-and-feel of your portal home page. Using CSS instructions, you can redefine some of the Esri default styles in order to get a more attractive page to welcome the users of you portal. Here is an example: http://demoagol1.maps.arcgis.com

agol_homepage_customization.jpg

If needed, I can provide the CSS source I used for this demo.

Tags (1)
10 Replies
ChristopherBrown4
New Contributor III

Hi

I would be very thankful if you could as you say provide me with the CSS you used. I have asked a question on the ArcGIS Online Developers space on cycling images on the home page based upon user and this approach may be the answer

Thank you,

Christopher

0 Kudos
GaëtanLAVENU
Esri Contributor

Hi Christopher,

I  uploaded here the CSS file that I used to customize this home page. You can test it by copying/pasting these instructions into the HTML code area of the "Banner" section. Hope it could help...

Gaëtan Lavenu
Esri France

ChristopherBrown4
New Contributor III

Thank you very much, once our site is up I will share with you and add you to the credits

Have a great day,

Christopher

Esri Australia

0 Kudos
MaryEllen_Perko
Occasional Contributor II

This is great and has inspired me to make our home page better.  In order to unpack this so I understand how to implement it, could you (or someone who has done this) provide a little more detail about what is in the "banner" and the "organization description" sections of the site settings?   I'm trying to understand the relationships.

Thanks,

Mary Ellen

P.S.  If anyone has other sites that I can use as examples I would be very appreciative.

0 Kudos
HeathBrackett1

Mary,

ESRI has a GitHub site dedicated to ArcGIS Online Administration.  There's a section on Home Page Tweaks which includes a lot of information on how to make changes and where those changes occur. 

Here's a link to our organization which incorporates some of these optimizations.

Heath

MaryEllen_Perko

Thank you so much.  This helps a lot.

Best,

Mary Ellen

0 Kudos
GarethYoung1
New Contributor III

Would you be able to share your code with me for the design of your homepage?

0 Kudos
OscarMonell
Esri Contributor

Thank you Gaëtan! Really helpful!

I've implemented this in an Esri Sweden demo-portal: http://kommun.maps.arcgis.com/home/index.html and mentioned your work in a related blog post: Skapa en anpassad startsida till din organisationsportal | GIS-Bloggen

My customizations to the CSS and HTML are available to download here: http://kommun.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=3e0e4121bcf140a79eed193d101dbaf1

AlexMahrou
Occasional Contributor

This doesn't seem to be working in IE, but works great in Chrome. Do you have any suggestions?

Fixed by removing the check by "Display intranet sites in Compatibility View" under Compatibility View Settings. That's easy for me. Now I'll need to get that deployed across my whole org.

0 Kudos