Corrupted Files

08-08-2014 05:32 PM
AustinJohnson
New Contributor

I opened ArcMap today to find all the files that were turned on in the Table of Contents in a certain .mxd file to be corrupted - can't be added to any arcmap document from the catalog, data source can't be repaired on the specific .mxd file.  The strange thing is that the files that were turned off in the table of contents were undamaged.

The only thing that I've done in ArcGIS for the past couple days is create a zipped file from the .gdb. Could this have somehow corrupted my files?

Any ideas on what to do? The error I get is ""Error opening feature class" and "Could not add the specified object to the map" when I try to drag the shapefiles onto a blank map.

My org. uses ArcMap 10.1.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You mention zip file and shapefile...is there any chance that when you created the zip file, you only copied over the *.shp and left the other parts behind? or did you just zip the geodatabase?  Did you move and unzip the file in a new location?  Anything else you can think of since zipping should do absolutely nothing to corrupt files

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

LLong shot...but make sure the .zip file was created in the .gdb folder.  If it is, MOVE the .zip to a different folder.  I would then closed and restart any of the ArcGIS software, of even maybe reboot to make sure there aren't any strange locks on files.  See if that helps.​

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

One potential solution for corrupted files is to run the Check Geometry and Repair Geometry tools.

Checking and Repairing Geometries

ArcGIS Help 10.1

Also, if it turns out your shapefiles are damaged beyond hope, you may be able to restore the files from backup.  For example, if you have Windows 7 you may be able to use the "Previous Versions" function to recover the files.

In Windows Explorer, Right-click on folder, Properties, Previous Versions tab, Select, Restore.

Warning - make a copy your data to another location before trying this.  Also, realize it will restore everything in the folder and all files and folders coming off that folder, so take this into consideration before attempting this particular process.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos