make arcgis online map searchable, and why can't I upload featured layers?

08-06-2014 06:25 PM
willMcDonald
New Contributor

I'm not very good with the IT aspect of map creation, and I need some help with using arcgis online and why some things don't work.  First if I upload content to my content in arcgis online, then I go to create map, Add, search for layer, my content; there is nothing there, why isn't my layer there?  I am able to, while creating a new map, upload directly to the map and I can make a basic viewer app such as this one i created (http://www.arcgis.com/apps/Viewer/index.html?appid=e9cbd6f489a3446b804f04d11d4948d8) but if I try to make a searchable or filter app map it will not work.  also when I load up my mobile arcgis app it won't view the map, What's the deal?

I am guessing I need my files hosted on a server, except does it need to be some special gis service like arc2earth?  I used to use arc2earth when it was free to have editable maps on my phone for field research, i'm not sure how it worked, but it did.  I have access to a server, is it sufficient to just have my layers uploaded to a directory then use the layers url to get the content on my argis online map?

Thanks for any help

0 Kudos
2 Replies
willMcDonald
New Contributor

bump

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Will,

In order to interact with a feature layer in ArcGIS Online, you will need to publish a hosted feature service, if you have an subscription to ArcGIS Onlne. Once the feature service is published, you will be able to add the layer to web maps, in a similar fashion to how you would use a feature class in ArcMap.

Let me know if you have more questions,

Kelly

0 Kudos