PROBLEM WITH AGOL ZOOM LEVEL

08-07-2014 11:14 AM
ChuckKha
New Contributor III

Hey there,

I had a raster dataset that I was working with that show an airport. I uploaded this raster dataset into the AGOL cloud as a tile service.

The problem: zoom level on AGOL seem to pale in comparison to the one on Arcmap

On Arcmap I was able to zoom all the way into the image, all the way to the point where I can see the individual pixels. However, on AGOL I can only zoom in so much. Is there a way to make it so that I can zoom in more on AGOL? I've attached some images if that helps.

Maximum Zoom Level On Arcmap:

arcmap zoom.JPG

Maximum Zoom Level on ArcGIS Online:

agol zoom.JPG

Also, I'm also not sure how uploading as a tile service works but the raster dataset that I uploaded was 5 GB in size. But after I uploaded it as a tile service, the tile service is only 348 MB. How did uploading it as a tile service significantly reduced the file size? This question is not relevant, it is just for my own personal curiosity.

5 Replies
ChuckKha
New Contributor III

Problem Resolved.

0 Kudos
MichaelMiller2
Occasional Contributor III

Please share what the resolution was.

0 Kudos
ChuckKha
New Contributor III

Hey Michael,

I ended up not using the default esri basemap in AGOL but instead created a basemap from an aerial image that I received from the clients.

How I created the basemap:

- First, I created the tiling scheme by using the "Generate Tiling Scheme" tool in arcmap, which generated an xml file for me. Under scale level, this is where you'd specify the level of zooming. My range was 1:16,000 to 1:125, which was all I needed. 

- I converted the PNG file that I received into a raster dataset.

- I then loaded the raster dataset into arcmap and clicked File -> Share As -> Tile Package

- Under Tile Format: Tiling Scheme pull down menu, choose a tiling scheme and choose the xml file that was created earlier. Don't use the ArcGIS Online default as that will only allow you to do 1:1128 as the maximum zoom level.

- Then I analyzed and clicked published.

Note that the more zoom level you add, the more tiles it'll have to create and thus will end up taking longer. Mine ended up being around 2 million tiles on a 3 GB file and it took me 5 hours to upload.

Hope that helped

Thanks!

0 Kudos
MichaelMiller2
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Chuck. Appreciate the instructions regarding creating your own base.

0 Kudos
ChuckKha
New Contributor III

Thanks Michael. Hope it helped

0 Kudos