Labels not showing up in published map service

Jump to solution
08-06-2014 04:50 PM
RandyKreuziger
Occasional Contributor III

We have an MXD with several layers all of which display labels at one scale or another.  It's been publishing to ArcGIS Server just fine but the user noticed that the wrong attribute was being labels.  The user modified the MXD and asked me to publish it.  I went through the same process that I've been doing for the past several months but today the labels aren't showing.  I've verified that the labels display properly in the preview when creating the SD file but once published they don't show.  I've also bypassed the service definition file process and published directly to the server but that didn't help.  Any ideas?

One of the layers should be displaying labels at all scale so that's not the issue.  Myself and others have zoomed in and the labels never come on.

The data is stored in MS SQL 2012 / ArcSDE 10.1 SP1.  The labels are coming from an attribute in a joined table if that makes any difference.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RandyKreuziger

I called with one into ESRi after a coupe hours of stripping down the author's MXD until it just had one layer in it and a joined table all in ArcSDE.  It turns out there is a known bug that was introduced in SP1 for 10.1 that broke labeling but inconsistantly.  The fix is either to upgrade to 10.2 where it's fixed or uninstall SP1 on the desktop and since I couldn't upgrade I did the uninstall.  Here's a link to the bug  NIM087311 - Map labels do not work in a map service if the fea..

Bug NIM-087311

Nimbus ID NIM087311
Submitted Dec 12, 2012 10:27 AM
Severity Critical
Applies To ArcGIS
Version Found 10.1 SP1
Prog Language N/A
Server Platform All Windows
Client Platform Windows
Database All
Locale N/A
Status Resolved
Version Fixed 10.2
SP Fixed 

Synopsis

Map labels do not work in a map service if the feature class resides in an ArcSDE database and is joined to a table.

Additional Status Information

N/A

Alternate Solution

Publish a map service using ArcMap 10.1 with no service pack to ArcGIS Server 10.1 SP1.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RandyKreuziger

I called with one into ESRi after a coupe hours of stripping down the author's MXD until it just had one layer in it and a joined table all in ArcSDE.  It turns out there is a known bug that was introduced in SP1 for 10.1 that broke labeling but inconsistantly.  The fix is either to upgrade to 10.2 where it's fixed or uninstall SP1 on the desktop and since I couldn't upgrade I did the uninstall.  Here's a link to the bug  NIM087311 - Map labels do not work in a map service if the fea..

Bug NIM-087311

Nimbus ID NIM087311
Submitted Dec 12, 2012 10:27 AM
Severity Critical
Applies To ArcGIS
Version Found 10.1 SP1
Prog Language N/A
Server Platform All Windows
Client Platform Windows
Database All
Locale N/A
Status Resolved
Version Fixed 10.2
SP Fixed 

Synopsis

Map labels do not work in a map service if the feature class resides in an ArcSDE database and is joined to a table.

Additional Status Information

N/A

Alternate Solution

Publish a map service using ArcMap 10.1 with no service pack to ArcGIS Server 10.1 SP1.

0 Kudos
AdamFeidt
New Contributor II

Randy,

I do believe this issue is resolved in the ArcGIS 10.1 SP1 Quality Improvement Patch.  Here is the link for more details.

http://support.esri.com/en/downloads/patches-servicepacks/view/productid/160/metaid/2064

Adam‌

0 Kudos
RandyKreuziger

Adam,

Thanks, that worked.