Exporting Excel XY Data to shp.file in 10.2 crashed

08-04-2014 09:48 PM
HenryKawas
New Contributor II

Hi I am from Papua New Guinea, importing xy excel data to 10.2 was ok, however, when exporting to shp.file, arcmap crash, please I need some help here...Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

What procedure/tool were you using?

HenryKawas
New Contributor II

Firstly, I simply add the xy excel data from File menu, add data than add xy data.

It was ok, however, when i want to export this excel data to shp, the software crashed.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

So let me guess, you right-clicked on the layer, then selected Data, Export Data and specified a filename and it crashed?  Or was there something else you did?  Do the fieldnames conform to what is required?  Any further information?

0 Kudos
HenryKawas
New Contributor II

Yes that was what happened, further my file name was a single word so am not sure what the problem might be. Will shortly be upgrading to 10.2.2, mean while I really would appreciate any help in rectifying this issue.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

did you specify a complete filename and path ie.  c:\temp\myshapefile.shp  or did you just type in a word

0 Kudos
HenryKawas
New Contributor II

The excel data was one word, located on my desktop and when added to the map, arcmap crashed instantly

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

see my suggestion above...desktops are the last place I would save anything

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

When working with Excel it is very important to realize that Excel is a not a database. In Excel you can do a lot of things that are not allowed in a table to be used in ArcGIS.

Maybe you can post (part of) the Excel file, so we can see if this problem can be reproduced.