Find water surface elevation from introducing a known volume of water at a point

08-03-2014 09:59 PM
Labels (1)
RyanDunne
New Contributor

I am trying to find the water surface elevation that results from a certain volume of water being introduced into an area from a point. I can use surface volume (BELOW) for this while iterating over elevations until I achieve a matching volume, but I want to apply this volume of water only to areas that are continuously connected to the point source. Basically, I need one pool, not multiple.

I was considering chopping my DEM to only include the single "pool", but because I don't know the elevation yet, this is somewhat difficult.

Is there an easier or simple way to achieve this?

I am using LIDAR data to produce a DEM and have access to 3d analyst, spatial analyst, and the hydrology toolset.

2 Replies
Katie_Decker
Esri Contributor

Hello Ryan, I'm inquiring with our Hydro team. I hope to get back to you soon! -Katie

DanielSiegel
New Contributor II

You can delineate the area that is continuously connected to your point source using two tools from the Spatial Analyst toolbox: Flow Direction and Watershed. Once you have the basin polygon, you can incrementally flood it until your volumes match. Alternatively, if you download the Arc Hydro extension, there is a tool called Drainage Area Characterization that does this for you:

http://downloads.esri.com/archydro/archydro/Setup/